Summary: Just as rechargeable batteries have revolutionized our communication world, being regularly recharged by the Holy Spirit will revolutionize our spiritual life. We need it.
A. HUMOR: HUMOROUS CHURCH SIGNS
1. “Salvation Guaranteed -- or your sins cheerfully refunded."
2. "God does not believe in atheists, therefore atheists do not exist."
3. "Forgive your enemies -- it messes with their minds."
4. "Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out."
5. Spotted outside a church in Michigan: "Honk if you love Jesus. Keep on texting while you drive if you want to meet him."
29 Now, Lord, consider their threats and enable your servants to speak your word with great boldness. 30 Stretch out your hand to heal and perform miraculous signs and wonders through the name of your holy servant Jesus.”
31 After they prayed, the place where they were meeting was shaken. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke the word of God boldly.
1. We love our cell phones and portable computers. It’s now hard to imagine life without them. But these devices would not be possible if there hadn’t been a quiet revolution taking place in science; the improvement of batteries. Listen to these two leading articles:
2. “Battery life is one of the most important factors to consider when buying a cell phone.” Long-lasting cell phones: Handsets with great battery life, Kent German.
3. “What's the most important measure of any laptop? [Not]…the processor speed, or the size and weight, but at the end of the day, it's got to be battery life” Longest battery life laptops of 2011, Ackerman & Rivera.
4. Why? Because they need power to operate. So do we! Our spiritual power is one of the most important factors of our lives; God can’t use us if we’re spiritually drained.
5. So tonight we’re going to look at RECHARGEABLE batteries and see what lessons we can learn about improving our spiritual
I. RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES - CHARACTERISTICS
A. ORIGINAL CHEMICAL COMPOSTION RESTORED
1. "One of the necessary conditions for a battery to be rechargeable is that the underlying chemical changes that occur during an electrical discharge from the cell must be efficiently reversed when an opposite electrical charge is applied across the cell. In nickel-cadmium (NiCad) batteries, for example, the Cd(OH)2 and Ni(OH)2 that are formed during cell discharge are readily converted back to the original electrode materials (Cd and NiOOH), when the cell is recharged.
2. "In contrast, the chemicals in nonrechargeable batteries experience irreversible chemical changes. For example, the carbon-fluoride batteries, after discharging, do not reform (CF)n when a reverse charge is applied. Instead the cell electrolyte decomposes, and eventually the fluoride is oxidized to form fluorine gas.
B. RECHARGE EFFICIENTLY, 100’S OF TIMES
To be classified as rechargeable, the battery must be able to undergo the reverse reaction efficiently, so that hundreds or even thousands of recharging cycles are possible.
C. RECHARGE SAFELY
1. In addition, there must often be provisions to ensure that the recharging process can occur safely.