Summary: This sermon brings Biblical wisdom in the areas of Communication, Training, Prayer and Trust. May our families be whole. Bless you as you study this very important topic.
o A parent asked their kindergartner, "How was your first day of school?" The child answered, "Fine, They want me to come back tomorrow!"
o During Thanksgiving dinner a little girl starting fooling around with her Papaw's wedding ring. Papaw she said, "How come your wedding ring never comes off?" He said, "Well that's because I love your Mamaw so much." She replied, "Well Mamaw takes hers off!"
I. FOUR THINGS THE BIBLE SAYS ABOUT COMMUNICATION
A. Let your yes be yes and your no be no!
Matthew 5:37 But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
1. If you say it… Mean it! If you don't mean it… Don't say it!
2. As parents we can influence the minds of our kids! If we are constantly changing our minds we are building instability into our children.
James 1:8 A double minded man is unstable in all his ways.
3. If we question everything, or double guess everything, our children will be affected. It will be hard for them to make right choices.
B. It's impossible to associate with evil all of the time and not experience it's negative affects upon our lives.
1 Corinthians 15:33 Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners.
1. Paul is referring to the false teachers who had come into the church at Corinth, denying the resurrection. (Evil Communication through false doctrine)
2. It's better to stick with God's love instead of constantly pointing out people's faults.
- Paul's encouragement here was to not allow ourselves to get into evil communications when we experience error. The same is true concerning communication with our kids!
- Our children may not always make the right choices, in our view, but we shouldn't badger them for it. (That's evil communications) Instead we should choose kindness.
Ephesians 4:32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.
C. Use words that edify and minister grace.
Ephesians 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
1. Anyone can be critical. It doesn't take a lot of smarts to criticize someone. Peacemaking however, may be harder but it produces blessings!
Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
D. PUT OFF filthy communication out of your mouth and PUT ON love which is the bond of perfectness!.
1. Read Colossians 3:8-17
2. Notice that this activity requires us to act. We "put off" and we "put on". This is called discipleship or "living out our faith".
II. TRAINING UP OUR KIDS - PROVERBS 22:6-17
A. 06 - Training is teaching applied. Give them room to try…
B. 07 - Position matters. It's not a sin to be poor but it's better to have more…
C. 08 - The practice of manipulating and beating others into submission will eventually
leave you lacking…
D. 09 - Rejoice over the blessing before you and share with the poor. (See the glass half
full instead of half empty)
E. 10 - Don't fool around with troublemakers. EVICT THEM out of your life!
F. 11 - Be pure in heart and easy in your speech and you will stand before (and have
influence with) powerful people.
G. 12 - The knowledge that we gain from God's Word is true. Challenge: Gain knowledge
and understanding and allow that truth to overthrow false teachings and expose
H. 13 - Don't make excuses and be lazy
I. 14 - Keep yourself pure
J. 15 - When you act foolish expect correction and discipline (not punishment…)
K. 16 - Practice Kingdom Economics and refrain from being controlled by the world's
systems. (In other words… Pay your bills, refrain from debt (not investment), don't
give out money to curry favor, etc.)
III. PAY ATTENTION TO, LEARN AND SPEAK LIFE OVER, YOUR KIDS EVERY DAY!
A. Interaction is Key
1. They can't hear you if you don't talk to them
2. You can't hear them if you never let them talk to you
B. Learn what matters to them
1. Baby Boomer's hearts were tied to places. (Cathedrals, Stained Glass Windows, Monuments to Moments etc.)
2. Millennial's hearts are tied to "Causes"… (Feeding the Hungry, Providing Clean Water, Making Others Feel Valued etc.)
3. Address Silent Suffering
C. Covenant Confessions to speak over your kids (ditch the "death talk)
1. You are blessed
2. You are highly favored
3. You are greatly loved
4. You are prosperous, healthy and whole etc.
IV. NEVER, EVER QUIT PRAYING FOR THEM
A. Love & Prayer are the two most powerful tools that parents have in their arsenal.