Summary: In the gospels one of the most fascinating aspects are the stories of the lives that were dramatically changed by the power of Christ. Men and women were touched by Christ so deeply that they literally left all and followed Christ. Matthew did what I wish
The Gospel of Mark #5 – “Relational Evangelism”
1. What do you think of when I mention the word evangelism? Perhaps, one of the following:
2. VIDEO – The Skit Guys, “The Skinny on Evangelism”…
3. Lost people matter to God, & therefore they should matter to me & you.
4. 2 Pet. 3:9 “The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.”
5. There are 3 main types of evangelism –
a. Proclamational – Church services, Billy Graham, etc…
b. Confrontational – Visitation, door to door, etc…
c. Relational – building relationships to bring people to Jesus.
6. Very few can do the 1st 2, but everyone can be involved in relational evangelism!
7. Mark 2:13-17 (Read)
8. In the gospels one of the most fascinating aspects are the stories of the lives that were dramatically changed by the power of Christ. Men and women were touched by Christ so deeply that they literally left all and followed Christ.
9. This is what happened to Matthew (Levi). He was a tax collector who made his living by extorting people for money. He lived off the commissions that he collected.
10. Matthew did what I wish many believers would do. He used the same influence that was once used to make money for Caesar to get people to Jesus Christ.
11. How? He opened his home to sinners so that they could meet Christ.
12. Bill Hull, “The most effective way to reach people is to utilize the natural networks of families, fraternal organizations, neighborhoods, and common ground activities.”
13. This is what we call relational evangelism. Levi not only followed Jesus, but he invited many of his "sinner friends" to meet Jesus.
14. How effective is relational evangelism? Evangelist Luis Palau’s research shows that 75% of all those who come to Christ do so through a relationship with a saved friend, relative or co-worker. The Institute of American Church Growth reports an even higher percentage, with almost 90% of the 14,000 Christians recently polled saying they came to Christ through “a friend or relative who invested in a relationship with them.”
15. Therefore, every follower of Christ can & should practice relational evangelism by –
I. Yielding to the Lordship of Christ – Vs. 13-14
Any story about someone’s salvation experience is fascinating. This one is no different. Matthew spontaneously follows Christ when He calls him!
*What is significant is the fact that now with one follower Jesus has a base of operation for evangelism. He can use & will use Matthew in his place of influence to spread the story of his saving grace.
*All Jesus Christ needs from you is your willingness to be used as a tool for evangelism.
*Acts 1:8 “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”