Summary: These scriptures refer to the second coming of Jesus Christ. Sooner than most of us believe, Christ will return to catch his bride away. A warning is found here to those who are not prepared to stand before the judgment seat of God.
If we are to have a part in God's Kingdom, if we expect to be saved from the judgment of God, we must be prepared. To expect heaven to be our home one day, doesn't come by chance. Heaven is a prepared place for a prepared people. John 14.
There will be no time for preparation at the end of the way. Notice the rich man in Luke 17:31. Remember Lot's wife. There are several things concerning salvation and the judgment of God we might do well to remember Lot's wife. Jesus is talking. Sometimes the best way to show or explain something is by a bad example. Judas; Lot’s wife.
I. She Perished, Although She was the Wife of a Saved Man
1. 2 Peter 2:6-8; Lot was not righteous of Himself, but because he had trusted God.
a. God’s mercy
b. Romans 4:1-5
2. Lot’s wife was related to Abraham, the Father of faith.
3. You can’t ride to heaven on the coattails of a godly husband or wife, mother or father, daughter, or son.
II. She Perished, Although She was Warned of Her Danger
1. Angels had warned her. Genesis 19:16-17
2. God’s judgment never comes without warning. Our warnings have been many.
3. Many different attitudes to God’s warnings. We are stilled warned.
4. Illustration of the Titanic
III. She Perished, Although She tried to be Saved.
1. She started but stopped short of salvation.
a. She looked back; her heart was still in Sodom. That look was a little thing, but it revealed her true character.
b. She wanted a salvation of the world.
2. She journeyed with those who were saved.
a. Many today have made commendable starts.
b. Faithful attendance in church. Good works.
3. Doing your best without faith in Christ is to perish.
4. John 1:11-13; God’s, one plan of salvation.
IV. She Perished, Although Separated from Sodom
1. Sodom is a type of the world. She was separated from sin yet unwilling to forsake it.
2. You cannot be saved by moral reformation. Someone has to pay for a life of past sin. John 1:13
3. Righteousness comes by believing with the heart, then the mouth confesses this salvation. Romans 10:10
V. She Perished, because of One Sin
1. The sin of lot’s wife was the sin of unbelief.
2. She refused to believe the warning of God.
1. We too can perish because of just one sin. Romans 3:23
2. Salvation is just as free now as it was then. Romans 6:23
3. Jesus is the way, truth, and life. John 14:6
4. Will you perish or come to Christ today?
5. Remember Lot’s wife.