Summary: There are lessons to be learned from Lot’s wife.
LUKE 17:20-32 “REMEMBER LOT’S WIFE”
A) Jesus, naturally, was the greatest Biblical scholar and teacher the world has ever known!
* Here in Luke 17, Jesus is well along in His ministry.
* You might say that the Pharisees were “on to Him!”
* They were between the “rock and a hard spot.”
* They couldn’t just dismiss Jesus as a fanatic, for He had too large a following, and His
knowledge of the Scripture was just amazing.
* In this particular encounter, the Pharisees were demanding a miraculous sign as to when this
“kingdom” was coming.
B) Jesus explains to them that the kingdom of God is not coming with signs - v.20!
* Jesus then goes into a message regarding His last days.
* In doing so, He reminds His disciples of a couple Old Testament tragedies ...
* The days of Noah and the days of Lot.
* What really stands out to me in this passage are the 3 words spoken by Christ in v.32 .......
C) Why would Jesus admonish His disciples (and us today) to remember Lot’s wife?
* After all, we don’t even know her name.
* There must be a powerful lesson for us hidden somewhere in Genesis 19 ... Let’s take a look!
* Historical Background: Genesis Chapters 11 & 12, we find Abram is told to leave Ur, to a land
God will show him - 12:4 tells us that Lot tagged along!
* We’re not told if Lot had a wife at this point, but if he did, then we must assume that she too left
Ur with her husband.
* In Chapter 13, the success of the families of Lot and Abraham caused strife among their
herdsmen and the ultimate split between the two of them!
* Lot chooses the Jordan valley and leaves Abraham with the less desirable desert hills of Canaan! D) The key here is this: First, Lot located his family in the fertile Jordan valley!
* Later v.12, he moved his tents as far as Sodom (he kept creeping closer and closer).
* By chapter 19, Lot had traded in his tents for a townhouse!
* Chapter 14, the five southern kings in the Sodom region, who had been serving the four northern
* It would appear they (southern kings) try to cut off the “kings highway” (trade route).
E) The four northern kings come down to squash the rebellion, and capture Lot in the process!
* Abraham learns of Lot’s capture, goes up on the opposite side of the Jordan, catches them in the
northern Jordan region (around Damascus), defeats them and rescues Lot!
* Chapters 15-17, we don’t hear much about Lot, these chapters deal with the maturing faith of
Abraham and Sarah, providing also more details regarding the covenant God made to Abraham!
* By chapter 17, 24 years have expired since Abraham left Haran ... plenty of time for Lot and
family to establish roots in Sodom.
F) Chapter 18, God and two angels appear to Abraham as three men!
* They have two primary purposes: * One: To convince Sarah that she indeed would bare a son!
* And two: To tell Abraham of the outcry from Sodom and of His plans to investigate!
G) The City of Sodom is thought to have been located on the SE side of the Dead Sea!
* When you hear the name “Sodom,” what comes to mind?
* Sodom was a cesspool of unspeakable immorality and abominations! * Note Jude v.7