Summary: This third Sunday of Advent I am sure God wants us to remember the real reason for the season.
“Remember Me” Luke 3: 15-16
1. The People during John’s days had already forgotten.
• Jesus vs. 23 says Jesus is 30 years of age. The verses hint that they had forgotten who Jesus was. Remember several years earlier the angles introduced Jesus as the coming messiah.
• Vs. 15 states the people were wondering if John was the Christ, had they already forgotten that earlier an angel had announced Jesus was born and he would be called Emmanuel (God with us).
• 15The people were waiting expectantly and were all wondering in their hearts if John might possibly be the Christ.B
• John attempted to remind the people that he was not the messiah, because they had forgotten born this day in the city of David is a savior .
• 16John answered them all, "I baptize you withC water. But one more powerful than I will come, the thongs of whose
2. God reminds the people about His Son because, they had they already forgotten.
• 21When all the people were being baptized, Jesus was baptized too. And as he was praying, heaven was opened 22and the Holy Spirit descended on him in bodily form like a dove. And a voice came from heaven: "This is my beloved Son in whom I am well pleased my Son, "
3. People today are forgetting the true meaning of Christmas
A. Me and Juanita were shopping and a lady that worked as a clerk at the register said. "she saw her church sign that read the following: "Happy Holidays". The clerk said, “I am upset and I think I will tell someone, we are a church and we need to not forget it is Merry or Happy Christmas, instead of “Happy Holidays”.
B. Many live as if, they have forgotten
• If you live as though church doesn’t matter you have forgotten
• If you live selfishly, rude, disrespectful you have forgotten
• If you live without worship in your heart you have forgotten
• If you live without responsibility to the Christ you have forgotten
4. I think the babe in the Manger is crying out Remember Me this Christmas
A. Don’t you remember I am the reason for this season?
B. Don’t forget I am the Gift that God gave humanity
C. Remember Me I am the one who saved you from your sins
Matthew 1: 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus,
C because he will save his people from their sins."
D. Remember Me I am the one who left glory so I could be with you :
Matthew 1:23"The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call
him Immanuel"D--which means, "God with us."
E. Remember Me I one day will Judge you for your ungodliness.
Luke 3:. 17His winnowing fork is in his hand to clear his threshing floor and to gather the wheat into his barn,
but he will burn up the chaff with unquenchable fire."
5. Jesus cries out “Remember Me” So How can we Remember Jesus?
A. We remember Jesus by being Faithful followers consider the ones who are faithful.
• rev 17: 14They will make war against the Lamb, but the Lamb will overcome them because he is Lord of lords and King of kings--and with him will be his called, chosen and faithful followers."
B. We Remember Jesus By Loving one another as the Thessalonians did
• 1 Thess 4: 9Now about brotherly love we do not need to write to you, for you yourselves have been taught by God to love each other. 10And in fact, you do love all the brothers throughout Macedonia. Yet we urge you, brothers, to do so more and more.
C. We Remember Jesus by being Obedient to all Jesus taught us
• 1 Peter 1:14As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance. 15But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do; 16for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."A