Summary: A message for Memorial Day.
Remembering Our Freedom
May 30, 2004
“This is a day you are to commemorate; for the generations to come you shall celebrate it as a festival to the Lord – a lasting ordinance.
Then Moses said to the people, “Commemorate this day, the day you came out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery, because the Lord brought you out of it with a mighty hand…”
The Day of Passover
• The Israelites were commanded to kill a lamb
• The blood was to be spread on the doorposts
• The death angel passed over those homes with the blood of the lamb
• The passover represented freedom from Egyptian slavery
• Passover was a call to remember – the day of their freedom
The Price of Freedom
• Revolutionary War – 33,000
• War of 1812 – 7,000
• Mexican War – 13,000
• Civil War – 980,000
• Spanish-American War – 4,000
• World War I – 320,000
• World War II – 1,078,000
• Korean War – 157,000
• Vietnam War – 111,000
• Gulf War – 700
• Iraq War – 700+
Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
“…I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.”
**Powerpoint available on request