Summary: The prophet Hosea gives some wonderful principles on repentance
REPENTACE WILL GET YOU EVERYWHERE
I. THE PROPHET’S LIFE AND TIMES
A. Hosea preached to the people of Israel about sin and about repentance.
B. The entire Old Testament is filled with the cycle Israel went through. This cycle can especially be seen in the book of Judges.
1) With God- faithful, praying, no idols, covenant keepers
3) Away from God- they drifted from Him because of their sin
4) Repentance- usually a prophet preaches and reminds them of their covenant promises and of their identity as God’s people.
5) With God
C. The people of Israel seemed to act out time and time again. This seemed to be the natural order of things for the people of God. One of the most important parts of this cycle is repentance.
II. THE PROPHET’S MESSAGE
A. This passage in Hosea focuses not on how to repent, exactly, but what will happen as a result of turning back to Him.
B. Here are some of the blessings and results the Lord outlines:
1) “heal the backsliding” – the desire to turn away from God will be healed
2) “loved freely and anger turned away” – God always continually loves us
3) “dew unto Israel” – God will bring a freshness to life that only He can give
4) “grow as the lily” – Life will grow and expand under God’s grace and mercy
6) “dwell under His shadow” – God will protect and care for us
8) “fruit found” – God will bless those who walk with Him
III. THE OVERALL MESSAGE FROM GOD
A. Verse 9 is so very interesting. It says to us, “Here are all these blessings, but who understands this?” “Don’t you get it?!”
B. God is disappointed when we chose the sinful path because He desires us to walk with Him each day.