Summary: Third in a series of five from Amos; God loves me and desires a relationship with me--calling me to repentence.
Repentance in Relation to God
Repentance is a change of heart, mind, & direction.–Ken Freeman
1. God desires a relationship with me (5:1-6)
• John 1:12 Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.
• John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
• John 10:10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full.
• Have I served other gods?
o Hosea 2:13, “…but she forgot me declares the LORD.”
• Do I seek salvation and life?
o Isaiah 55:6, Seek the LORD while he may be found; call on him while he is near.
• Do I have a relationship with God or a religion about God?
2. God knows all of my sins (5:7-13, 6:1-7)
• Have I served myself above others?
o Matthew 22:36-40 "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" 37Jesus replied: " ’Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38This is the first and greatest commandment. 39And the second is like it: ’Love your neighbor as yourself.’ 40All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
• Is there a disconnect between my walk and my talk?
o 1 John 1:6-7 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.
• Have I rebelled or failed to meet God’s standards?
o 1 Samuel 16:7 But the LORD said to Samuel, "Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The LORD does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the LORD looks at the heart."
3. God calls me to repentance (5:14-17)
• Do I seek God first in everything?
o Matthew 6:33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.
o Matthew 7:7-8 "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened.
• Have I served other gods without knowing it?
o Colossians 2:6-7 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
• Have I simply ceased sin, but still do not love what is good?
o Psalm 34:10 The lions may grow weak and hungry, but those who seek the LORD lack no good thing.
o Acts 2:38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.
4. God judges all people, even me (5:18-27, 6:8-14)
• Have I served because of habit and not heart?
o Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart;test me and know my anxious thoughts. 24See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.