Summary: Resolve to KNOW Christ! (I preached this sermon together with my son Randy Deal Jr.)
Outline, Devotional, Audio and Video available at http://bit.ly/k1NdOV.
Sunday, December 28th, 2008
Dr. Randy Deal
VIDEO: “New Years Resolutions (1:01) Moving Pictures
Isn’t that so true? As we begin to evaluate 2008, we look forward to 2009! How did last year’s resolutions turn out? Great inspiration and great resolutions, even SPIRITUAL RESOLUTIONS, but often times we only DECIDE, and months later we are still on the same limb of do-nothing! We make resolutions we don’t keep, resolutions that are VAGUE, and we wonder why nothing changes.
RANDY: A boy told his father, "Dad, if three frogs were sitting on a limb that hung over a pool, and one frog decided to jump off into the pool, how many frogs would be left on the limb?" The dad replied, "Two." "No," the son replied. "There’s three frogs and one decides to jump, how many are left?" The dad said, "Oh, I get it, if one decides to jump, the others would too. So there are none left." The boy said, "No dad, the answer is three. The frog only DECIDED to jump."
FUN-FACTS ABOUT NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS:
• 40 to 45% of American adults make one or more New Year's resolutions each year.
• 67% make 3 or more resolutions.
• How many maintained as time goes on:
o Past 2 weeks: 71%
o After one month: 64%
o After 6 months: 46%
WHAT ARE YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS FOR 2009? WHAT WILL YOU RESOLVE TO DO NEXT YEAR? SHOUT ‘EM OUT…..
TOP 10 FOR 2009…(and there SO original!?!?!?!)
1. Get Out of Debt
2. Lose Weight and Get in Shape
3. Quit Smoking
4. Spend More Time with Family
5. Get a Raise or Promotion at Work
6. Find a New Job
7. Take a Vacation
8. Help Others
9. Learn Something New
10. Go Back to School
RANDY: I found a few myself…
1. I resolve to live in my own little world, because at least they know me here.
2. I resolve to stay married, because it is so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
3. I resolve to not make any resolutions, because nobody is perfect. I’m a nobody, therefore I’m perfect.
4. I resolve to not sit in my living room all day in my pajamas. Instead, I will move my computer into the bedroom.
5. I resolve to not bore my boss with the same excuses. I will think of some more excuses.
6. I resolve to do less laundry and use more deodorant.
7. I resolve to avoid taking a bath whenever possible and conserve more water.
8. I resolve to stop sending e-mail, text messages, Instant Messages and be on the phone at the same time with the same person.
9. I resolve to not ring the flight attendant button on airplanes just to get her phone number.
On this last Sunday of 2008, we want to challenge you to MAKE and KEEP, ONE AND ONLY ONE resolution…to RESOLVE to do only ONE thing!
RESOLVE: WHAT IS RESOLVE?
RANDY: ISN’T THAT SOME KIND OF CARPET CLEANER?
Definition: (VERB!) to reach a firm decision about; to declare or decide by a formal resolution; to determine; to BE MINDED; to purpose; to come to KNOW, perceive, realize, expressing the definiteness of the realization and the consequent determination of your course of action.