Summary: Making more than a resolution - resolving to live the life God wants for you.
BE IT THEREFORE RESOLVED
INTRODUCTION: In just a few days, we will bid farewell to another year. I am always amazed at how fast time flies. 2002 has been an exciting year filled with challenges and changes for each of us. This is a natural part of the life cycle.
It is at this time when people begin to think and talk about resolutions. Plans and commitments to lose weight, exercise more, have more fun, and pray more, read their Bible more, and a host of other “hope to’s.” Tragically, the majority of these resolutions never come to pass. The word resolution actually means a thing determined upon.
With these resolutions often come guilt and a feeling of failure. Many people spend the better part of the New Year beating their selves up for lacking the discipline and determination to carry through with their resolutions. This is a shame! After all, resolutions are a good thing.
I). PRIORITIZE (7-11)
A. Recognize what really matters
1. Matthew 6:33 “But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.”
2. Philippians 3:10 That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship or His sufferings, being conformed to His death.
3. 1 Kings 3:5-6;-13 At Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night; and God said, “Ask! What shall I give you?” Ave and Solomon said: “Therefore give to Your servant an understanding heart, that I may discern between good and evil. The speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon asked this thing. Then God said to him: “Because you have asked this thing, and have not asked long life for yourself, nor have asked riches for yourself, nor have asked the life of your enemies, but have asked understanding to discern justice, behold, I have done according to your words; see I have given you a wise and understanding heart. And I have also given you what you have not asked: both riches and honor…”
B. Restructure our values
1. Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.
2. Psalm 27:4 One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple.
3. Mark 10:21 Then Jesus, looking at him, loved him, and said to him, “One thing you lack…”
4. Luke 10:41-42 And Jesus answered and said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are troubled and worried about many things. But one thing is needed…”
II). PUT AWAY (13)
1. Philippians 3:13 forgetting those things which are behind…
2. Isaiah 43:19 “Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old.”
3. Luke 9:62 But Jesus said to him, “No one, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.”
4. Reflect but don’t remain
1. Don’t carry hurts, grievances and grudges into the New Year.
2. Matthew 6:14-15 “For if you forgive men their trespasses (sins), your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses (sins), neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.”
3. Mark 11:25-26 “And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses.”
4. James 2:13 For judgment is without mercy to the one who has shown no mercy.
III). PURSUIT (12,14)
1. Pursuit is the product of desire
2. Psalm 27:4 One thing I have desired…that will I seek…
3. Proverbs 8:17 I love those who love Me, and those who seek Me diligently will find Me.
4. Psalm 42:1 As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.
1. Philippians 3:10 That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death.
2. Philippians 3:12 but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me.
3. Philippians 3:14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
IV). PRACTICE (15-16)
A. Maturity (15)
1. Determine to grow up in Christ
2. Ephesians 4:13-15 till we all come to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a perfect (mature) man, to the measure of the fullness of Christ; that we should no longer be children, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head – Christ.