Summary: The Sixth Commandment: ‘Do Not Murder’ – Exodus chapter 20 verses 13 – sermon by Gordon Curley PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com
(1). Murder – a definition.
• Quote: Webster’s New World College Dictionary:
• "The unlawful and malicious or premeditated killing of one human being by another.".
(2). Murder – a description.
(a). What Murder is Not!
• Accidental Killing
• Capital Punishment.
• A Just War
(b). What Murder is!
• Physical Murder.
• Personal Murder.
• Physician Assisted Murder.
• Pre-natal Murder
If you think your family has problems,
• Consider the marriage mayhem created when 76-year-old Bill Baker of London;
• Wed his sweetheart Edna Harvey.
• She happened to be his granddaughter’s husband’s mother.
• That’s where the confusion began, according to Baker’s granddaughter, Lynn.
• “My mother-in-law is now my step-grandmother.
• My grandfather is now my stepfather-in-law.
• My mom is my sister-in-law and my brother is my nephew.
• But even crazier is that I’m now married to my uncle;
• And my own children are my cousins.”
• TRANSITION: Relationships are never easy.
• The Ten Commandments are all about relationships.
• In fact I think the whole Bible can be boiled down to one word;
• i.e. The commandments divide into two sections;
• Not five and five but four and six.
• The first four concern our relationship to God;
• Respect for God (they are upward).
• The next six concern our relationship with other people;
• Respect for others (they are across-wards).
This talk we are looking at the sixth commandment - respect for life (vs 13).
• N.I.V: “Do not murder”
• K.J.B: “Thou shalt not kill”
Now on the surface understanding the Ten Commandments are not rocket science:
• They are succinct and elegantly simple.
• They don’t dance around the issues,
• They get right to the point and, really,
• They don’t actually require a lot of interpretation do they?
• Even a four year old clearly understands what most of them means!
And yet in three simple, straightforward words,
• “Do not murder”
• God confronts us with complex ideas;
• That will strain your brain as you try to grasp its deeper meaning.
Note: To get to grips with this commandment:
• We need to understand the meaning of the word translated as "kill" or "murder".
• This commandment does not aim at prohibiting all killing;
• Rather it is prohibiting an act of murder,
• i.e. taking human life with forethought
• Note: The context of this verse is our relationships with other people;
• i.e. Do not lie, do not steal, do not commit adultery etc.
• And it is not talking about how we treat animals;
• That is a study that should be done all by itself!
• Just recently I was talking to a Hare-Krishna;
• They are a branch of Hinduism and are all vegetarians.