Summary: We often seek restoration for our weary souls in the very things that tear us down but we need the Lord to restore our souls.
PATTERN: PASTORAL CARE INTERVENTION
THIS IS OUR PROBLEM:
Everyone in this room has seen someone with a worn out, dried up, caved in, torn down, burned out soul this morning. Perhaps you woke next to him. Possibly it was the guy who cut you off in traffic on the way to worship. By chance it was someone in the aisle as you made your way to your seat. Maybe you saw her in the mirror when you brushed your teeth.
Wherever and whomever, I’m sure you all saw someone whose soul needs refreshment and renewal. They are everywhere.
Let me explain what I mean.
• SOUL = The emotional-mental ingredient to humanity
• Other ingredients = BODY, HEART (or will), & SPIRIT
• “Ingredients” because they cannot be separated and they influence each other
• EXAMPLES: When your body is in pain, your soul can be irritable; when your soul is tired, your heart can make stupid decisions; when your spirit is out of touch with God, your soul and heart make stupid decisions; When your heart makes stupid decisions, your soul feels guilt/shame, your body feel sick and your spirit is broken or contrite.
So let me repeat my opening line. Everyone in this room has seen someone with a worn out, dried up, caved in, torn down, burned out soul this morning. Perhaps you woke next to him. Maybe you saw her in the mirror when you brushed your teeth.
How can you tell if your soul is tired and needs restoration?
CHECK LIST OF SYMPTOMS:
A. Feeling more irritated than you used to
B. Feeling frustrated often or all the time
C. Feeling a little blue or slightly depressed for unknown reason
D. Feeling apathetic
E. Feeling trapped in problems
F. Just can’t get to sleep at night
G. Just want to be left alone
H. Watching more and more TV
I. Not taking care of yourself – missing sleep, skipping meals and not exercising
J. Unable to relax and enjoy life
K. Caught yourself acting like a martyr telling others how hard you work
L. Feel no hope for rest, relieve or help
How did you do? Do you have a worn out, dried up, caved in, torn down, burned out soul?
If you checked several of these symptoms then you need to know why your soul is tired out.
WHAT CAUSES WORN OUT, DRIED UP, CAVED IN, TORN DOWN, BURNED OUT SOULS?
1. Fear drives you to find security, good feelings and power
2. You might be latching onto familiar things that make you feel safe – even though they don’t really give you security.
3. You may be grasping for good feelings in activities and things that have made you feel good in the past.
4. You could be grabbing for power over life in general or another person in particular – like trying to give the wind a bear hug.
5. Perhaps you work hard at home and in the church out of a sense of duty, loyalty, guilt or pride and not because of God’s love.
6. Perhaps you have an inner need to be “indispensable”.
7. Maybe you’ve worked your fingers to the bone and put your nose to the grind stone only to find out no one notices all your sacrifices. Resentment can grind your soul to dust over time.
Do you have a worn out, dried up, caved in, torn down, burned out soul?