Summary: Hosea 3 is perhaps one of the greatest chapters in all of the Bible. James Boice says this about Hosea 3, “The third chapter of Hosea is, in my judgment, the greatest chapter in the Bible, because it portrays the greatest story in the Bible—the death of
ON THE ROAD TO RESTORATION
Hosea 3:1-5 The LORD said to me, "Go, show your love to your wife again, though she is loved by another and is an adulteress. Love her as the LORD loves the Israelites, though they turn to other gods and love the sacred raisin cakes." 2 So I bought her for fifteen shekels of silver and about a homer and a lethek of barley. 3 Then I told her, "You are to live with me many days; you must not be a prostitute or be intimate with any man, and I will live with you." 4 For the Israelites will live many days without king or prince, without sacrifice or sacred stones, without ephod or idol. 5 Afterward the Israelites will return and seek the LORD their God and David their king. They will come trembling to the LORD and to his blessings in the last days.
INTRODUCTION: Hosea 3 is perhaps one of the greatest chapters in all of the Bible. James Boice says this about Hosea 3, “The third chapter of Hosea is, in my judgment, the greatest chapter in the Bible, because it portrays the greatest story in the Bible—the death of the Lord Jesus Christ for his people—in the most concise and poignant form to be found anywhere.” This chapter is a story of love reviewed, renewed, and rekindled. Now, that is not to say that what happens in this third chapter is easy – far from it! What we do see is that even in the direst of circumstances, the biblical pattern of God’s Word and the practical illustration of that in biblical living are possible, and the effect profound!
So, let us take a look at what God asks of Hosea (and us) when it comes to restoring relationships
I. GOD’S COMMAND TO RESTORE RELATIONSHIPS – HOSEA 3:1
A. THIS COMMAND TO HOSEA IS MODELED IN THE CROSS WORK OF JESUS CHRIST.
B. JESUS IS THE ULTIMATE EXPRESSION OF REVEALED, DEMONSTRATIVE LOVE.
C. HOSEA AND HIS ACTIONS ARE A TYPE OF CHRIST
1. HOSEA IS COMMANDED TO ACT
a. HOSEA IS TO GO – TO ACT FIRST AND PROACTIVELY
b. HOSEA IS TO SHOW LOVE
1) THE WORD USED FOR LOVE SPEAKS OF GOD’S LOVE FOR HIS PEOPLE
2) WE WERE THE MOST UNLOVABLE WHEN WE WERE SEPARATED BY SIN FROM OUR CREATOR AND GOD.
3) GOD, ACTIVELY AND PROACTIVELY SHOWED HIS LOVED TOWARDS US IN THE FINISHED WORK OF CHRIST
2. HOSEA IS COMMANDED TO ACT WITH THE KNOWLEDGE OF WHAT HAS AND IS HAPPENING
a. GOMER HAS LEFT HOSEA
b. GOMER IS INVOLVED IN ADULTERY
c. GOD, THROUGH CHRIST HAS ACTED WITH FULL KNOWLEDGE OF OUR CONDITION
1) ACTIVELY IN REBELLION AGAINST HIM
2) IN FULL COMPLIANCE WITH THE DESIRES AND ACTIONS OF SATAN
3) WHILE EXISTING AS AN ENEMY OF GOD
3. HOSEA IS COMMANDED TO ACT TOWARDS GOMER AS GOD ACTS TOWARDS ISRAEL, AND WOULD ULTIMATELY ACT TOWARDS US THROUGH CHRIST
PRACTICAL APPLICATION: IN ANY SITUATION IT IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE TO ACT IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE COMMANDS OF GOD REGARDLESS OF THE SEVERITY OF THE SITUATION OR THE PERSONAL DISCOMFORT IT MAY CAUSE US!
II. GOD’S PROCESS IN RESTORING RELATIONSHIPS – HOSEA 3:2-4
A. RESTORING RELATIONSHIPS INVOLVES SACRIFICE
1. HOSEA PAID A PRICE FOR HIS WIFE – HE REDEEMER HER FROM HER CURRENT SITUATION