Summary: Why and how the resurrection of Jesus has an impact on your faith and why and how your faith impacts your life.
Today we will look at one of the most pivotal events in all of human history – the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead.
But we’re going to cover it from a unique perspective. You’re going to see not only what the resurrection of Jesus means to you for eternity but also how it helps you every day.
We’re going to see why the resurrection of Jesus has meaning has and how that meaning impacts your every-day life.
We’re going to begin today with why the resurrection of Jesus has meaning because of faith. And, let’s correct a big misconception about faith before we get started with this one.
Faith is not a blind stab in the dark. Faith is not just believing something because it sounds good. Yes, it is believing in some things we cannot see – but we believe in things we cannot see because of things we have seen. Christians don’t follow Christ just because they hope they might get lucky in so doing. It’s not about beating the odds, or choosing Christ just in case He’s right.
"Faith is not belief without proof, but trust without reservation." (Elton Trueblood)
If you’re looking for a evidentially based faith, then faith in Christ is based on solid historical and empirical evidence: historical, because the truths of Christ’s life, death and resurrection can be authenticated by the documented record; and empirical, because in the laboratory of the lives of billions of people, faith in Christ has proven true as well. But, beyond that we experience Christ in our own lives, we’ve experienced change, answer to prayer, we know His presence, and through our own human tendency for doubt, uncertainty, and confusion, we know that he exists within us and is working for our salvation.
We’re talking about faith that has a rock-solid foundation. That foundation is Jesus and His life, death and resurrection. But the message today is not going to be about proving the resurrection of Christ.
Today we’re going to see why and how the resurrection of Jesus has an impact on your faith and why and how your faith impacts your life.
Our Scripture today is from Paul’s first letter to the Christ followers at Corinth in ancient Greece.
12. Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead?
13. But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised;
14. and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain.
15. Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised.
16. For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised;
17. and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins.
18. Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished.
19. If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.