Summary: What can science do in a cemetery?
Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest. It was Mary Magdalene, and Joanna, and Mary the mother of James, and other women that were with them, which told these things unto the apostles. And their words seemed to them as idle tales, and they believed them not. Then arose Peter, and ran unto the sepulchre; and stooping down, he beheld the linen clothes laid by themselves, and departed, wondering in himself at that which was come to pass. (Luke 24:1-12 KJV)
Here is what we know -
1. She was from Magdala in Galilee
2. Jesus cast seven demons out of her.
3. She joined the band of disciples and followed Jesus where ever he went. Luke 8:2
4. She was at the cross when all the male disciples had fled (Mk 15:40, Jn 19:25)
5. She observed Jesus burial (Mk 15:47)
7. She was the first to discover the resurrection, and first to report it to the disciples, and first to see the resurrected Christ as she lingers by the tomb, after all the others have gone.
(John 20:1,2, 11-18)
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death. (Revelation 1:18 KJV)
A. A Day of Good News
1. The day of Christ 's resurrection
2. Without the resurrection there is no good news
B. Events of the Cross and After
1. The upper room promises to the disciples
2. The betrayal by Judas and the trial before Pilate
3. The crucifixion and the seven last words
4. The despair of those who came to the tomb (v. 1)
C. Then Came the Resurrection.
D. What Power!
A. THE POWER OF THE RESURRECTION IS ALMIGHTY POWER (vs. 2-3)
1. The stone was rolled away
2. The body of Christ was gone
3. This is the age of power
a. Automobiles , planes, spacecraft
b. The power of knowledge : scientific breakthroughs
c. Nuclear power: domestic and destructive
4. Resurrection power is the greatest of all
a. The power to restore life
b. What can science do in a cemetery?
5. The power of the Trinity involved in the resurrection
a. The Power of the Son (John 10: 17-18)
b. The Power of the Father (Eph. 1:18-20)