Summary: Jesus will return and bring with Him judgment.
“Return of Christ: Judgment”
• Vs. 14 The OT does not record this prophecy of Enoch, however by Jude recording it here under inspiration of the Holy Spirit, give validity to the accuracy of this prophecy.
• It is not know whether Jude got this directly from the pseudepigraphal book 1 Enoch (which was not written until the 1st century B.C. and was largely read and well respected during this time) or from oral tradition that was passed down from the time of Enoch; the truth of the account remains the same.
• Jude uses this story as an illustration to his readers to remind them that not matter how bad things look now, God gets the final victory which means we are on the winning side, but at times we act like we are so defeated.
• A picture of Jesus’ second coming with His holy ones. We see that even before the time of the flood God was preparing His followers for Christ’s return and ultimate victory
1 Thessalonians 3:13 "so that He may establish your hearts without blame in holiness before our God and Father at the coming of our Lord Jesus with all His saints."
• Vs. 15 Not only will Jesus return, but He is coming to execute God’s perfect justice in God’s perfect timing.
2 Thessalonians 1:6-10 "For after all it is only just for God to repay with affliction those who afflict you, and to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, when He comes to be glorified in His saints on that day, and to be marveled at among all who have believed—for our testimony to you was believed."
• Often we long to be a part of this portion of Christ’s ministry, and while we are told to look forward to Christ’s return we must often remind ourselves of what Christ has entrusted us with in the mean time.
• We must not loose sight of the mission!
• Vs. 16 Jude list personal character traits of these false teachers, and our reaction when we see or hear about such people is to react like the sons of Zebedee.
• Again remembering our mission as the church is not to wield the sword, but the olive branch which is the gospel of peace.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11 "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God."