Summary: Study of the Book of Revelation
Revelation, Part 2
Open your bibles to Revelation, Chapter 1
Last week recap:
Over-arching theme: 2 Tim 4:2 says “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.” We ought to be able to give an answer – to give hope to the future and why we believe this way.
Why do we preach? We have been freed by blood (v5b-6) ** Most important reason **
John was an ordinary man, but he was a sold-out, servant of God
- Being sold out means that no matter what it takes, God’s will comes first in your life.
Why is the mission so important? One reason: It was given by the Spirit of God!
Read Revelation 1:12-18
I. What did John see?
* We will get to the 7 golden lamp stands and 7 stars in a few minutes
John saw an appearance of a person – human form, but yet there was something remarkable about this vision - otherwise he would say that he saw a man. John saw a form of a man; I see this in my mind as an outline of a human.
Hair – White – Purity from the top – God’s purity begins with your head (mind)
- Romans 12:2, “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.”
This image of purity has to be one that we strive for – it is what Jesus exemplified.
Eyes – Fire – Truth and piecing – The eyes are the windows to the soul
- When you witness to someone, your eyes ought to look at the with God’s eyes. There should be love in them, with an underlining of God’s commandments. We are commanded to love one another. You can love someone but not approve of their sin, but when you judge, you have just sinned. See people with God’s eyes, not your own – when you look into someone’s eyes with God’s love, what you see if their NEED, not their SIN!
Feet – Bronze – God’s refining fire – All works will be tested by God’s fire and purified
- 1 Corinthians 3:15 says, “If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.”
What happens when we get purified?
- 1 John 1:9 says, “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.”
Voice – Rushing waters (Niagara Falls) – Authority in his speech
The sound of rushing water is one that you can never forget. The power behind it, the energy it gives off – this is how John described the Lord’s words.
A sword from His mouth – Word of God cuts like a sword
There is nothing more truth based than God’s Word. This is promised to never fade away, and will outlast the test of time.
Out of fear – John fell to his feet.
His body had no other reaction to the image but to collapse, to go limp and to be afraid for what his eyes saw. Perhaps this is like Moses being hid in the cleft as God passed by? For seeing The Father or The Son in this image while we are viewing with human eyes is too much to comprehend?
II. Do not be afraid
This is Jesus, in his glorified body – without the flesh of the world!
He proclaims that he holds the keys to death and Hades
Death – Those who have Jesus will never die
John 11:26 says, “Whoever lives and believes in me will never die”
Hades – Hell – this is the second death
Rev 20:14 says “Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death.”
Hades is a place, a very real place, and it is where those who disobey God and died without Jesus are today. At the final judgment, Hades will be brought before God and thrown into the lake of fire.
How did He get the keys?
When Jesus was crucified, and went there and took the keys!! Imagine that!!
John was told to write what you have seen – that will take place later
III. Explaining the mysteries
Jesus always explains these things – even if we do not get what He is saying! He still tells us in a way that we can understand. Think of the times the disciples were not getting what Jesus was saying!
John, I am sure, was puzzled by this vision and Jesus saw this immediately. So, rather than have him focused on that thought, He cleared it up immediately so that John could focus on the real vision.