Summary: Watergate is hardly the place for a revival, or is it?
REVIVAL AT WATERGATE
How does revival come? It begins in me.
I. AFFIRM THE WORD OF GOD (NEH. 8:1-8)
A. By Reverencing It (8:3-5)
1. The people were very “attentive” to the “book of the
law” (v. 3).
2. The people stood up when Ezra began reading
3. Spiritual renewal has always come in on the heels
of a renewed reverence and hunger for the Word of God.
B. By Receiving It (8:6-8)
1. The people worshipped God because of the Word
2. The people understood the law and stood in their place
3. The Word was explained to them
4. The Bible cautions us to receive with meekness the
filthiness and superfluity of naughtiness, and receive
with meekness the engrafted word, which is able to
II. ACKNOWLEDGE THE LORD’S DAY (NEH. 8:9-12)
A. The Description of the Day (8:9, 11)
1. The day of worship was described as “holy unto the
LORD your God” (v. 9). That is, it was set aside for
the purpose of worshipping the Lord.
B. The Design of the Day (8:10, 12)
1. Worship of the LORD brings joy. People who are right
with God rejoice in Him.
2. Worship is celebration of the Lord and to the Lord.
III. ACT LIKE THE PEOPLE OF GOD (NEH. 8:13-18)
A. A People of Commandment (8:13-16)
1. The leaders of the nation convened for Bible study and
discovered the commandment concerning the observance
of the Feast of Tabernacles (13-15).
2. This feast was observed by living in booths of branches
for a period of seven days. It began on the 15th day of the
2. When the leaders discovered this truth, they led the people
to observe this feast (v. 16)
B. A People of Celebration – Worship (8:17-18)
1. Their obedience to God in this matter led to celebration and
great rejoicing (v. 17).
2. They celebrated by reading the Word of God and
worshipping as that Word commanded them to do (v. 18).