Summary: The church needs a revival and here’s a couple of things we need to do to receive it from the hands of God.
PSALM 85:5-7 “REVIVAL”
A) I’m talking about a revival that brings real joy, not just excitement!
* There is a vast difference between joy and excitement .......
* Joy = Cheerfulness; Calm delight ... Excitement (not even found in the Bible) = To stir up the
emotions of: ROUSE; to increase the activity of: STIMULATE!
B) Let me illustrate the difference between joy and excitement .......
* What excites you the most? * I don’t mean just any one thing, but what are the things that come
to your mind that really get you excited?
* I thought about this and this is just a short list for me, but it will give you some idea of the things
that really get me excited ....... A romantic get away with Libby.
* Spending time with my church family ... Breaking seventy on the golf course.
* Hot homemade chocolate chip cookies.
* Anytime Gamecocks wins ... Especially when they beat Clemson!
C) The kind of revival that we need brings joy, not just excitement!
* Let me give you some good, sound advise ... Prov. 8:33 “Hear instruction, and be wise, and
refuse it not.”
* The lack of revival of God’s people is a major problem that is receiving minor consideration!
* People today are not hungry for revivals like they were many years ago!
* It’s about time that God’s people get a spark to get the fire burning in our souls!
D) Here are some things we need to do ... It’s time for sleeping folk to wake up!
* 1 Cor. 15:34 “Awake to righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of ...”
* It’s time for the lukewarm to fire up ... Rev. 3:14-16 “And unto the angel of the church ...”
* It’s time for the disgruntled to sweeten up ... The discouraged to cheer up ...
* The dishonest to confess up ... The depressed to look up ...
E) It’s time for the gossipers to shut up ... Prov. 26:20 .......
* “Where no wood is, there the fire goeth out: so where there is no talebearer, the strife ceaseth.”
* Prov. 18:21 “Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the
* Prov. 25:23 “The north wind driveth away rain: so doth an angry countenance a backbiting ...”
* Backbite = To say mean and spiteful things about someone who is absent.
F) It’s time for the God-robbers to pay up – Mal. 3:8-10 .......
* It’s time for the offended to make up ... The crooked to straighten up ... Soldiers to stand up ...
* Then we will be prepared to receive a revival from the Lord!
G) I want to give you two things in this message today .......
(1) REVIVAL WILL BEGIN WITH A BURDEN!
A) We need to ask God to melt break our hearts for those who are lost and without Christ!
* Lost people are always welcomed to come to this church and every function that we have!
* Hos. 10:12 “Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for
it is time to seek the LORD, till he come and rain righteousness upon you.”
* This is ground that has already been slightly plowed! * Fallow = Dormant, Inactive.
B) Here’s another way of putting it ... 2 Tim. 1:6 “Stir up the gift of God, which is in thee ...”