Summary: This sermon shows how God bring’s revival through His supernatural leadership and our obedience
“REVIVAL IN A DESERT”
It has rightly been said, “Our God is an awesome God.” But, it can also be said that our God is a peculiar God. (“peculiar” = Having a character exclusively it’s own) Our Lord is peculiar in that there is no one like Him nor can anyone fully discern Him or His ways.
Romans 11:33, “…how unsearchable are His judgments, and His ways past finding out.”
This experience in the life of Philip can only be attributed to the peculiar workings of an awesome God! A desert is not the place where you would expect a revival, yet even with the absence of a choir, a pulpit, a tent, folding chairs or even offering plates, God showed up and brought revival!
Here are four ingredients the Lord used in this desert revival.
1. A WILLING SERVANT (v. 26, 27)
A) Willing Because Of Who He Was
Though Philip is not mentioned as much as Peter or Paul, he is spoken of several times in the Book of Acts.
1) He was numbered among the seven original deacons (Acts 6:2-5)
2) He preached in Samaria after Stephen’s death (Acts 8:5)
3) When the Lord calls him to preach at Gaza, without question or hesitation he goes. A desert isn’t a prestigious place to gain fame, nor a populated place to gain fortune. But it’s the particular place the Lord called him to and that was enough for Philip.
* Is that enough for us or do we need the applause and the approval of the crowd as a prerequisite?!
Luke 17:10, “So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants; we have done that which was our duty to do.”
Ephesians 2:10, “For we are His workmanship…”
> We must never forget we are SEVANTS of the most high God!
B) Willing Because Of Who God Is
1) Philip had not been called by the queen of Ethiopia, the twelve Apostles or a board of Baptist preachers. He had been called by the omnipotent God of Heaven!
Romans 11:29, “For the gifts and calling of God are without repentance.”
* What calling has He placed on your life? Are you doing it?
* ILL: A husband thought his wife was becoming deaf. He stood behind her across the room and said, “Can you hear me?” He then moved closer asking the same question. Finally, he stood directly behind her and said, “Can you hear me?” The wife, finally becoming impatient, responded, “Yes, for the third time, I can hear you!”
* Does it seem to you God is becoming deaf? Or is it you?
2. A WANDERING SINNER (v.27b-31)
A) The Ethiopian eunuch was not searching for the road home, a successful business deal or how to think positive and feel good about himself. He was searching for peace in his soul! It’s interesting that the eunuch had been to the temple (v.27), been to a religious service, was probably of great moral character to be the queens treasurer, but was still unsettled inside (v.31).
B) Friend, you can fill your life full of activities, experiences, relationships, accumulate great wealth and be a good neighbor, but you’ll never know true joy and peace until you meet Christ!
3. A WORD ABOUT THE SAVIOR (v. 32-35)
A. Christ Is The Theme Of All Scripture v. 32, 33
> Many read, study and examine the scriptures and never touch the life changing power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ!
> The Bible has two main messages; 1) Get right with God! 2) Live for Jesus!
B. Christ Is Who The Eunuch Needed To Hear About v. 34
> Philip didn’t say, “In my opinion / Join my church / Start doing better.”
- He preached Christ Jesus to him! It’s the Gospel, not Gadgets that people need!
Romans 1:16, “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth…”
4. THE WAY TO SALVATION (v. 36-39)
A. There Is Confession In Salvation v. 36,37
Romans 10:9, “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus…”
B. There Is Obedience In Salvation v. 38
* Why do we think God doesn’t care about our disobedience?
C. There Is Joy In Salvation v. 39
> Not everyone will act the same at salvation, but when the God of Heaven takes up residency in someone’s heart it will be displayed in some way!
#1. We need to follow God’s direction wherever He leads.
#2. We need to seek those out who are wandering in sin.
#3. We need to present God’s Word as the solution for mankind.