Summary: The second message in a series on Ephesians.
RICHES REVEALED IN THE TRINITY
(Second in the Series on Ephesians)
There is a cartoon showing a lawyer reading the last will and testament of his client to a room full of greedy relatives. The caption reads “I, John Jones, being of sound mind and body, spent it all!”
When Jesus wrote his will, He gave us all He had. Not only that but He also died so it could be in effect. Hebrews 9:15-17
We find our riches in all three persons of the Trinity.
I. RICHES FROM GOD THE FATHER. 4-6
A) He has chosen us. I do not understand how two seemingly opposite doctrines (election and free will) fit perfectly together, but according to scripture they do.
1) God loved me before I loved Him.
2) As a depraved individual I cannot even choose God until He extends his grace.
3) And yet, I believe that God extends that grace to any who will receive it.
B) He has adopted us.
1) We do not become a son of God by adoption—we are born into the family by the new birth.
2) We are given “first born” status by adoption which gives us immediate access to our inheritance.
C) He has accepted us.
Paul, writing about and on the behalf of Onesimus said “If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself. 18If he hath wronged thee, or oweth thee ought, put that on mine account; 19I Paul have written it with mine own hand, I will repay it;”
We are accepted by the Father because of our relationship with His Son.
II. RICHES FROM GOD THE SON. 7-12
A) He has redeemed us. “Redeem” means “To purchase and set free by paying a price.”
In Bible times a man could purchase a slave and that slave would be his property. Or, he could purchase him and set him free—this was called redeeming the slave.
B) He has forgiven us.
Sin made us poor.
The Law reveals our poverty.
Grace removes our poverty and makes us rich.
C) He has revealed God to us. John 8:19
III. RICHES FROM GOD THE HOLY SPIRIT. 13-14
A) He has sealed us.
1) This word “seal” in the Bible declares a finished transaction. At the moment of our salvation we are sealed because salvation is completed in us.
2) It also was used to speak of security and protection. When you open many food items or over the counter medicine it has a seal….it says don’t use if what? The seal is broken.
When the Holy Spirit seals us at Salvation, we are secure and protected. We can lose the joy of our salvation…we can even lose the power for spiritual living..but the Holy Spirit never leaves. Our Spirit is knit together with the Holy Spirit.
B) He has given us an earnest.
1) An earnest is the down payment to guarantee the final purchase. One day we will be in heaven with the Father. We will see our Savior Jesus Christ. Until that day the Holy Spirit resides within.