Summary: An evangelical call to recognize the worth and value of the gospel proclamation.
RIGHTEOUS WORDS FROM PROVERBS 10
Read Proverbs 10:11 and 20-21
Who is the RIGHTEOUS? Scripture uses “righteous” in more than one way.
- Outward righteousness of the Law
- The righteousness of God, to which no man attains
- Comparative righteousness, recognizing some men more righteous than others, though none perfect.
- In Proverbs especially, the “righteous” are synonymous with the “wise”. They are those who through simple faith seek to obey the commands of God.
Jesus is the epitome of all these forms of “righteousness”. He kept the Law in all things. He was without sin, proving His divine perfection; He was much, much more righteous than anyone around him; and He lived a righteous life the way He wants us to live it…through simple trust in the promises of God.
Whatever Proverbs says is true of the “righteous” is ultimately a statement about Jesus.
Proverbs 10:11 “The mouth of the righteous is a well of life.”
- Woman at the well story (John 4). Jesus knows your past. He also knows that it has not satisfied you…it has left you thirsty. He offers you a drink of living water.
- “Whoever thirsts, let him come to me and drink. He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water.” Jn 7:37-38
Jesus the Righteous One is here today, offering life to the thirsty.
Proverbs 10:20 “The tongue of the righteous is choice silver.”
- “The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.” Ps 12:6
- Are you one who has found yourself re-evaluating priorities since 9/11? Here’s a hint to get you started: The Word is true value. Realize that the Word of God makes the world go ‘round. Not money.
- After you die and face judgment, I guarantee you won’t wish you’d made a little more money. May well wish you’d paid more attention to God’s Word, though!.
Jesus the Righteous One is here today, offering something more valuable than all the world’s treasures.
Proverbs 10:21 “The lips of the righteous feed many.”
- Means that by instructing people in wisdom, the righteous man meets their needs.
- Feast upon the goodness of the Lord. Take your fill of His grace presented to you in the Gospel of God.
- Jesus calls men of every tribe and tongue and nation to the banquet table of God’s grace, by the blood of His cross.
- Listen to the lyrics of this simple chorus. (I wrote them, so there’s no copyright issue…)
Take and eat of the Body
The Body broken for you.
Take and drink from the cup of the Lord,
The Covenant, holy and new.
Never be hungry or thirsty again
Always be filled with His love
Freely come drink from the water of life
The river that flows from above.
*Jesus the Righteous One is here today, offering to instruct you in the ways of the Kingdom of Heaven. He is offering at this moment to satisfy the inner longing that you have had all your life. He is offering life to you.
Pray a Sinner’s Prayer