Summary: Sometimes we win/we lose our battles/flesh Sometimes We don’t fight against/desires/flesh at all.
Pastor Allan Kircher
18 Aug 2013
Shell Point Baptist Church
Rising to Glory
• 400 years covered/book/Judges
• Nation/Israel followed/predictable pattern.
• Serve God faithfully while/strong leadership of their judges.
• Judge died/they had no leader/they would desert God
• began to live in disobedience to His Law
• Giving themselves/worship/pagan gods/Canaanites.
Exactly the pattern we see/work in the verses before us today.
Israel sinned against God and/Lord caused Eglon, the king of Moab, to become strong.
• Eglon invaded Israel/help/Ammonites/Amalekites
• Together they oppressed Israel for 18 years.
• When they repented
• God raised/man/Ehud/their deliverer.
Ehud assassinated Eglon and led Israel to victory and freedom.
• This story has much to teach us, if we will allow it to.
• Like Israel, we often follow the same pattern of disobedience, chastisement and restoration.
• Our problem is not Moabites/Ammonites/Amalekites.
• Our problem is the flesh.
Text unfolds, see Israel’s enemies clear type our own enemy.
• Eglon is the perfect picture of the flesh.
• He is out of control/self-indulgent/fat/lazy/evil.
• He is full of pride/He is also assassinated by Ehud.
In Israel’s defeat of Eglon, I see a picture/battle we are supposed to be fighting every day.
• Every one of us has problems with our flesh.
• we win/we lose our battles/flesh
• We don’t fight against/desires/flesh at all.
Literally/fight for our very spiritual lives every day.
• Fight we must win, every time we enter the arena.
I want to preach/Ehud/Israel/their battle with Eglon.
They won their battle those who oppressed them/you can too.
I want to preach on How Lefty Killed Hefty.
I. v. 12-14 ISRAEL’S DILEMMA
Verses describe/horrible oppression Israel suffered because of her rebellion against/Lord.
Their problems stand/warning/all those who walk away from God
A. v. 12-13a Their Foes
Israel faced three nations because of their rebellion against God.
• They faced/Moabites/Ammonites/Amalekites.
• All three/continual problems for Israel
• All three were connected to Israel by blood.
• Amalekites were descended/Esau, Jacob’s twin brother.
• Moabites/Ammonite/descendants of Lot/Abraham’s nephew.
Lot/daughters were delivered/Sodom/Gomorrah
Lot’s daughter got him drunk, had sexual intercourse with their father/conceived Moab and Ammon/descended these two nations.
All three of these nations worshipped false gods.
• Moabites god--Chemosh Ammonites--Moloch.
Both/gods worshipped vile/sexual practices/child sacrifice.
• Amalekites nomadic, warlike people variety of pagan gods.
All three were a continual thorn in the side of Israel.