Summary: Keep your feet on the rock and your name on the role
Rock and Roll
1. Tower of Pisa. 180 ft. leaning 18 ft. Soft soil/foundation too
shallow. Pisa means marshy land. Foundation only 10 ft. deep
2. Houses stand for peoples lives. We’re all building our whole life.
Jesus asks-Are you a wise builder or foolish builder? Building to last
or will it collapse when tested? Are you building on the foundation
of rock? In a hurry & building emotionally on sand? Jesus didn’t
say good/bad bldr. or righteous/unrighteous bldr. Said wise/foolish.
3. Foolish: emotional, led by feelings. Lazy, easy way out. Refuses to
listen to doctrines, doesn’t like doctrines of Bible, doctrine of God /
creation/sin. Therefore, finds church that doesn’t teach biblical
doctrines. Self-pleasing, Self at center, not Christ. Reads Bible
selectively, looking for blessings. Appreciates doctrine of love, but
hates doctrine of justice. Impatient, looking for shortcuts/quick
4. No long-term view of things, no view of the end. Doesn’t want to
think about death, eternity, facing Jesus. Ignoring Word of God
which tells us man appointed once to die then face judgment.
5. Wise builder: One who listens very carefully to instructions. Hard
working & patient. Luke 6:47-49 - wise builder dug deep. Dig until
he comes to bedrock. Then build house on that. Wise builder not
looking for shortcuts or quick results. Builds to last.
6. Wealthy man/house builder illus. God is saying to us- building a
house, house is our life, we’re going to live in it. Whether you live in
pain or peace, depression or delight, poverty or prosperity, totally
depends on how you build that house. Jesus, a Jewish carpenter,
gave contractor seminar. Said 2 bldrs. 1 wise, 1 foolish. 2
foundations, 1 rock, 1 sand. 2 destinies, to stand or to fall.
7. Oct. 17, 1989 San Francisco earthquake illus.
8. Both houses hit by storm. One survives. Storms will come.
Parable about foundations, not weather. No storm-free zones.
9. Mug/wine glass illus.
10. Master builder looks down from heaven & shouts “THERE’S A
STORM COMING. THERE’S A STORM COMING. GET ON
11. Prepare for storms when skies blue & nothing looks wrong. May
be wealthy by today’s std., healthy, friends. Phone rings, x-ray, knot
is cancerous, fight for life. THE STORM COMES.
12. Phone rings. Baby daughter in serious accident. Life turned up-
side down/storm hits. IT’S TOO LATE TO PREPARE THEN. 2
foundations, rock & sand. Rock: secure, unshakable, solid. Sand:
shifting, insecure, uncertain.
13. Man who built on sand seemed to make greater progress. Walls
up overnight, putting on roof, hanging doors having barbecue,
watching Monday Nite Football, while neighbor over there digging
thru dirt to rock. Says “whatcha doin’, chill out, kick back. My
house is done. Come have barbecue & go swimmin’.” NO, GOTTA
GET DIRT OUTTA MY LIFE, AND GET DOWN TO ROCK.
STORM COMIN’. Beware of instant spiritual success. What goes
up quickly can come down quickly. Keep digging til you hit rock.
14. Bible says it rains on just & unjust. Bad things happen to good
people. Rains on house built on sand & rains on house built on rock.