Summary: John the Baptist was a dramatic type preach who certainly shook things up or rocked the boat of society, rocked the boat of peoples lives, and rocked the boat of what it meant to repent.
“Rock our Boat” Matthew 3:1-12
Who was John The Baptizer?
1. He was as about as a Outrageous Character as you could have met in Biblical Days
2. John was not a boring Preacher
3. John was considered a prophet
4. John drew large crowds crows to hear him preach.5People went out to him from
Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan.
Notice How John Rocked the Boat of Peoples Lives
1. John Rocked the Boats of peoples Live by Preaching "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."
2. John Rocked the boat of people’s lives by Telling Them not just a King coming but "THE" King is
Coming `Prepare the way for the Lord, make straight paths for him.' "
3 . John Rocked the lives of people by denouncing Self Indulgence
• 4John's clothes were made of camel's hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.
• John denied his self by saying He must decrease that He may increase
4. John Rocked the Boat by ignoring all the niceties of sermon prep
• Warm up the crowd by telling a joke, say we instead of you,
• 7But when he saw many of the Pharisees and Sadducees coming to where he was baptizing, he said to them: "You brood of vipers! Who warned you to flee from the coming wrath?
5. John Rocked the boat of peoples lives by requiring affirmations of repentance?
• 8Produce fruit in keeping with repentance.
• It was like Wesley demanded from those called into ministry
• Do they know God as a pardoning God? have they the love of God abiding in them?
• Do they desire nothing but god? Are they holy in all manor of conservation?
• have they gifts as well as evidences of God's grace for the work?
• Have they a clear sound understanding; a right judgment in the things of God; a just conception of salvation by faith?
• Do they speak justly, readily, and clearly? Have they fruit? Have any truly been convinced of sins and converted to God and are believers edified by their preaching? As long as these marks concur in them we believe they are called to preach.
6. John Rocked the lives of people by threating of a Coming Fire to the un-repentant
• 10The ax is already at the root of the trees, and every tree that does not produce good fruit will be cut down and thrown into the fire.
7. John Rocked the boat of people’s lives by Proclaiming the coming of a Greater One
• 11"I baptize you withB water for repentance. But after me will come one who is more powerful than I,whose sandals I am not fit to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and with fire.
Rock My Boat Lord that I might change my mind
Rock my Boat Lord that I might Redefine My purpose
Rock My Boat Lord That I might Shift my Course
Rock My Boat Lord that I might Fall into the Waters of repentance