Summary: With man’s rebellion, God faced two problems, 1) How could a Holy God draw near to a sinful humanity and 2) How could He draw sinful humanity to Him
The Three-Fold Blessing of the Trinity in the Redemption Process - 1
There is a graphic which needs to be used with this sermon which outlines the process and can be obtained by emailing Gary Regazzoli at firstname.lastname@example.org
When Man sinned God faced two problems
• Diagram - Two circles and barrier of sin
• Man had sinned and created a barrier between himself and a Holy God
• A barrier mankind had no way of eliminating
• How could a God who is holy approach a sinful mankind?
• How could God draw sinful mankind to Himself?
The solution to these two problems is breathtaking in its audacity and is testimony to the great love God has for us
• Normally when we speak of God’s saving work, our focus is on Christ’s saving work and that is only right as He played the major role, but I hope to show you today that all three persons of the Godhead played their part in God’s saving work
Start with God the Father’s role in the Redemption Process
• Mark 12:29 (KJV) And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord:
• Jesus is quoting from Deut 6:4 confirming God is “One”
• John 14:8-11 (NKJV) 8 Philip said to Him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is sufficient for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in Me? The words that I speak to you I do not speak on My own authority; but the Father who dwells in Me does the works. 11 Believe Me that I am in the Father and the Father in Me, or else believe Me for the sake of the works themselves.
• So as we go through this process even though each person in the Godhead has His particular role, be aware that the other two persons are also involved in the process because God is “One”
So back to problem number One – How could a Holy God draw near to a sinful mankind?
• God the Father could not approach us in His role as leader of the Godhead, He had to remain separate from sin
• What was the solution? The Father decided to send God the Son for the mission of God drawing near to man
• John 3:16 (NKJV)16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
• Diagram - Incarnation Arrow and Son
• Earlier I spoke about the unspeakable love God has for mankind
• Here is the sacrifice God was willing to make so He could draw near to us and in the process draw us near to Him
• Most of us parents would willingly give our own lives to spare our family from harm, I’m sure Abraham would have willingly have sacrificed himself if that were an option
• This is that great event in salvation history the Christian world calls the “Incarnation”
• The incarnation is the doctrine that the eternal second person of the Trinity became a human being and “assumed flesh” in Jesus of Nazareth (John 1:14 The Word became flesh)
• The Son added humanity to His Divinity