Summary: Relationship with God is your most important relationship. Spiritual growth is God's will for your life. Go deep is the way to grow strong. There is no short cut to cultivating a relationship.
WHY ARE WE DOING WHAT WE ARE DOING? Why should I take on this discipleship thing? Why can’t I just sit back and simply cruise into heaven?
• We’re made to have fellowship with God. Adam and Eve walks in the Garden with Him.
RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT RELATIONSHIP
We need to do something because our REATIONSHIP WITH GOD is the most important relationship in life.
• Everything revolves around that. It is the relationship that anchors all other relationships. It is the relationship that affects all of life.
• It is the only relationship that will last FOREVER. All relationships – husband and wife, parent and child, owner and pets, all ceases when we reach heaven.
The only relationship left standing is the relationship that enables us to call Him ABBA FATHER - we as His children and He our Father. FOREVER that will stay.
• If this relationship anchors our lives and AFFECTS all our other relationships, then we need to pay more attention to GROWING this relationship.
• We are not throwing everything out – we have our daily affairs and commitments, and all our earthly relationships with people.
• We are PUSHING this relationship with God to the FOREFRONT. It affects everything else. It is the most significant relationship.
• We want to know Him, know His Word, know His will and know His purposes for our lives. That provides us perspective and purpose for life.
All relationships take time and effort to nurture and grow. Good relationships do not happen naturally or come by chance. We know that.
• That is why we need to INTERACT with God. We come to hear His Word every Sunday, we want to read His Word daily and understand Him.
• Will all these take time? Yes, of course. Will it take some efforts? Yes, of course. The same way any relationship takes time and lots of hard work.
SPIRITUAL GROWTH IS GOD’S WILL FOR YOUR LIFE
6 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, 7rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
8 See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ.
It is interesting to see how Paul uses metaphors in his writings.
• To grow strong in your relationship with Jesus, Paul says you need to be ROOTED – that going deep – and then BUILT UP – going up.
• To higher you want to grow, the deeper you need to go. To go up, you need to go down. The deeper your foundation, the higher you can climb.
We see this in the corporate world. Many climb too fast too soon, without the corresponding depth of character that is needed.
• They are easily tempted and fall, because they are unprepared for the challenges they are exposed to at the top – more power, more money, and more fame.
And Paul went on to say, you will then be “STRENGTHEN (established) in the faith as you were taught” - a description that refers more to what is happening on the INWARD.