Summary: What Christians should NOT wear to worship? (Powerpoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request – email: email@example.com)
(1). Before we get dressed (vs 1-4)
(2). What not to wear (vs 5-9)
(3). What to wear (vs 10-17)
• An alternative title for tonight’s talk could be:
• ‘What Christians should NOT wear to worship?’
• Of course this sermon is NOT about the proper physical attire for church attendance.
• God doesn’t care as much as people seem to care regarding our dress preferences.
• This sermon is about ‘things’ (i.e. character traits, sinful actions or attitudes);
• That we are to ‘put off’ and ‘put on’ when we come to Church.
• Yet Colossians 3:1-17 gives us some real sound advice on ‘spiritual dress’.
• Now due to a misunderstanding - this week’s sermon (chapter 3 verses 1-11);
• Should have been preached last week.
• And last week’s sermon (chapter 3 verses 12-17);
• Should have been preached this week!
• Now because these sections (verses 1-17) are all about “spiritual dress.”
• It doesn’t really matter very much that you’ve had it the wrong way round;
• Because the two sections fit together either way round.
• Verses 1-9 is about putting off;
• i.e. What you should not wear to Church.
• Verses 11-17 is about putting on;
• i.e. What you should wear to Church
(1). Before we get dressed (vs 1-4)
• A right mindset is important if we are going to wear the right clothes.
• i.e. If you are going to decorate the house – do not wear your best suit or dress!
• i.e. If you are going on a hike – do not wear high heels or uncomfortable shoes!
• i.e. If you are going to a wedding – do not wear your bathing suit or swimming trunks!
• A right mindset is important;
• We need to make sure we are wearing the right clothes for the right occasion.
The apostle Paul tells these Christians at Colossae:
• Not WHERE they are going i.e. off to decorate, or off on a hike or off to a wedding etc.
• But WHO they are going with i.e. Jesus Christ.
• Because they are with Jesus they need to dress appropriately.
• Remember I am using clothing as a figure of speech, a metaphor.
• Just as we cloth our bodies to look presentable;
• So every Christian must cloth their heart & their minds to be presentable to Christ.
• The pagan religions in New Testament times;
• Said very little or nothing at all about personal morality.
• A worshiper could bow before an idol, put his offering on the altar,
• And go back to live the same old life of sin.
• Religion was in one compartment of his life;
• And everyday living was in a separate one.
• What a person believed had no direct relationship with how he behaved,
• British comedian Frank Skinner a modern example of that ideology.
• His stage act is course, crude and full of innuendo, as well as lots of bad language.
• Yet as a devote Catholic he goes to mass each morning.
• Yet what he believes does not affect his behaviour.
When the Christian faith burst into a pagan society like that at Colossae:
• It brought a whole new concept into being.
• Because WHAT a Christian believed,
• Had a very definite connection with HOW they behaved!
• After all, faith in Christ means being united to Christ;
• And if we share His life, we must follow His example.
(1). Preparation – requires 3 things (vs 1-4):
1Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. 2Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. 3For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 4When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
(a). Remember we are raised with Christ (Vs 1):
“Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God”.
• Because you have been raised with Christ:
• Your heart should be near the throne of God where Jesus is seated.
• Now although we are raised with Christ
• It is possible to be alive and still live in the grave.
• A true story from the second World War,
• Tells the story of several Jewish refugees who hid in a cemetery,
• During that period of hiding, one pregnant lady gave birth to a baby;
• And so a baby was actually born in one of the graves.
• Transition: Did you know that for a Christian: