Summary: Sermon about the blood of the "Sacrificial Lamb" as seen throughout scripture and ending with the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ - followed by the Lord’s Supper.
Pastor Dave Martin ~ Cross Creek Community Church ~ August 20, 2006
Turn to Gen 3:21
“Sacrifice” - The definition for sacrifice is broad – the act of offering something to a deity; the ritual slaughter of an animal or a person; To forfeit for another thing considered to be of greater value... The act of offering the innocent for the guilty...
Sacrificial Offering is seen throughout Scripture...
· In Adam & Eve’s restoration back to God - Genesis 3:21 The LORD God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.
· In God’s rejection of Cain’s bloodless offering - Genesis 4:4-5 4 But Abel brought fat portions from some of the firstborn of his flock. The LORD looked with favor on Abel and his offering, 5 but on Cain and his offering he did not look with favor. So Cain was very angry, and his face was downcast.
· In Noah’s burnt offering sacrificed to the Lord - Genesis 8:20 Then Noah built an altar to the LORD and, taking some of all the clean animals and clean birds, he sacrificed burnt offerings on it.
· In Abraham’s offering up Isaac as a sacrifice – Turn to Gen 22
· God tested, proved Abraham’s faith 22:1 (Mt Moriah, Calvary, Temple)
· Sacrifice your only son Isaac 22:2 (Jesus)
· The wood was placed on Isaac 22:6 (Cross)
· Great faith & confidence in God 22:5 (resurrection – Heb 11:17-19)
· Fire & wood but where’s the sacrifice? “God Himself will provide the Lamb” 22:6-8 (Immanuel)
· The willing sacrifice 22:9 (Jesus laid His life down... no one took it from Him)
· Great faith & God provided a substitute offering (Ram) 22:10-14 (God sent Jesus to take our place)
· In the Institution of the Lord’s Passover – Turn to Ex 12
· Lamb was kept with the family for 4 days (attachment / cost)
· Lay hand on the head of the lamb symbolically transferring his sin & guilt to the innocent
· A lamb does not bleat when it is killed... shows a willingness to succumb to its fate... like Jesus
Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed and afflicted, yet he did not open his mouth; he was led like a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is silent, so he did not open his mouth.
Ø Without blemish –
Hebrews 9:14 How much more, then, will the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself unblemished to God, cleanse our consciences from acts that lead to death, so that we may serve the living God!
2 Corinthians 5:21 God made him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.
Ø Must be slaughtered –
John 19:17-18 17 Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). 18 Here they crucified him, and with him two others--one on each side and Jesus in the middle.
Isaiah 53:12 Therefore I will give him a portion among the great, and he will divide the spoils with the strong, because he poured out his life unto death, and was numbered with the transgressors. For he bore the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.
Ø Blood must be applied –
Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace
Colossians 1:20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether things on earth or things in heaven, by making peace through his blood, shed on the cross.
Exodus 12:13 The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.
1. God requires innocent life-blood to atone for Sin.
O.T. - Leviticus 17:11 ’For the life of the flesh is in the blood, and I have given it to you upon the altar to make atonement for your souls; for it is the blood that makes atonement for the soul.’
N.T. - Hebrews 9:22 And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.
· Think about your blood... coursing through your veins right now... 4-5qts, 32.4 tons per day flows
· “Atonement” – to make reconciliation, to forgive, satisfy, cover, propitiate – “What can wash away my sin?”
· All have sinned and fallen short of God... Relationship is broken... only restored through the blood
· God requires a blood sacrifice to cleanse your soul of sin... innocent bulls, lambs, doves, etc