Summary: Assurance of salvation
I. God’s Word gives us assurance of our salvation
2. The epistle of John was written to those who are already born again, in other words, those who have accepted Christ as saviour. We must learn to believe what God’s Word says about our salvation.
b. We obtain assurance of eternal life through what is "written," therefore in order to obtain assurance we should study the Word. The assurance that rests upon our states of feeling will come and go as those states vary. But the assurance that rests upon the unchanging Word of God will be intelligent and steadfast. Ignorance of the Word of God is one of the greatest sources of the lack of assurance. - R.A. Torrey
II. The Holy Spirit resides in our hearts to bring assurance
1. Rom. 8:16; 1 John 5:10; Gal. 4:6
2. Once we believe what God’s Word says about salvation we will have the supernatural presence of the Holy Spirit to bring us further assurance.
III. The Key to assurance is FAITH, not FEELING
1. Eph. 2:8,9; Rom. 10:9-10; John 6:37; 2 Cor. 5:7
2. Feelings come and go but God’s Word stands sure. The first thing that you must always remember is that God is not a liar. He does not trick people. He does not use subversive tactics. If you have made Jesus your Lord and you hear a voice telling you that you are not saved then the source is not God but satanic and demonic. Accept no such voices that contradict the assurance of God’s Word.
IV. Can one LOSE their salvation?
1. No one can take salvation away from you - John 10:27-30; Rom. 8:14, 35-39.
2. This is dependent upon us following Him. If we are not following then we are in SIN. Long persistence in sin brings DEATH to the inner man - Rom. 6:23; James 1:14-15; 1 Cor. 3:16-17; 6:8-11; Gal. 5:16-20; Ezekial 3:20-21; 18:24-26.
a. If you sin, confess it to God. He will cleanse you - 1 John 1:9
CONCLUSION: After being presented with this message you should no longer have any doubt concerning your eternal state. However, if you are still not sure then pray this prayer:
Dear Heavenly Father
I know that you sent your Son Jesus Christ to die on the cross for my sins. You loved me that much to give your only Son. I accept this fact. You promised that whoever comes to you, you will not reject that person (John 6:37). I now believe this promise and I come to you. I now believe that I am born again. Thank you Jesus for dying for me. Thank you Father that I am going to heaven and not hell. In Jesus name. Amen.
From this point on do not doubt your salvation. Accept the written testimony of God’s Word and the dwelling presence of the Spirit by faith. If and when you do sin, simply go to God and He will forgive you.