Summary: Basics of Salvation
Adapted from: Salvation - http://www.biblestudyguide.org/ebooks/mcnabb/salvation-overview.PDF
Allan McNabb – firstname.lastname@example.org
4/1/2009 – Marsing, ID
“For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.”
“Porque el Hijo del hombre vino á buscar y á salvar lo que se había perdido.”
In the beginning God created us with the purpose of having communion with us and a daily relationship.
A. GOD’S ETERNAL PLAN:
1. God planned man’s salvation from before the creation of the world (Eph. 2:10; 3:11).
Since that before that beginning God had provided a way of Salvation for our souls.
2. God wants everyone to be saved (1 Tim. 2:4; 2 Pet. 3:9).
3. God loves everyone (Jn. 3:16), but He will only save the people who obey Jesus (Heb. 5:9; cf. 2 Th1:8-10).
God is love and is also a JUST God. We will all give an account of our lives before God.
B. IF WE LOVE GOD, WE WILL OBEY.
1. If we love God, we will obey Him (1 Jn. 5:3).
“For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.”
“Porque este es el amor de Dios, que guardemos sus mandamientos; y sus mandamientos no son penosos.”
If we say we love God, we must obey His Word. Love is not an emotion it is an ACTION!
2. If we love Jesus, we will obey Him (Jn. 14:15; 15:10).
“If ye love me, keep my commandments.”
“Si me amáis, guardad mis mandamientos.”
We can’t say we love God and we don’t want to obey Him, if we love HIM we must obey him. “Obedience is better than sacrifice.” (I Sam 15:22)
The way to Salvation is not through philosophy or generosity it is through JESUS alone, believing, trusting, and obeying HIS WORD!
C. WHAT DOES JESUS TEACH US TO DO, TO BE SAVED?
1. Believe in Him (Jn. 6:29; 8:24).
a. People who believe, obey the gospel (2 Th. 1:8-10).
b. People who have a disobedient faith (dead faith) are not saved (James 2:14, 17-20, 23-24, 26).
“For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9Not of works, lest any man should boast.”
“Porque por gracia sois salvos por la fe; y esto no de vosotros, pues es don de Dios: 9No por obras, para que nadie se gloríe.”
It is faith that allows us to produce fruits of repentance, fruits of righteousness. (Luke 3:8)
2. Repent (Lk. 13:3, 5).
a. To repent means to have a change of mind resulting in a change of action (cf. Lk.3:8; 2 Cor. 7:9-10).
Repentance is not simply remorse or acknowledgment of sin, but a complete turn around to change your mind completely, to change your actions completely.
There are many that are sorry, but sorry doesn’t not repair the damage, repentance will put to death sin and to be dead to sin is to live in CHRIST JESUS! (Rom 6:10-11)
3. Confess Jesus as Lord and Savior (Matt. 10:32-33; Lk. 12:8-9).
4. Be baptized (Matt. 28:18-19; Mk. 16:16).
a. "Baptize" is a transliteration of a Greek word meaning to dip, to immerse. Baptism is a process of immersion in water and emergence out of water.
Baptism requires REPENTANCE!
5. Remain faithful (Rev. 2:17).
D. THE APOSTLES TEACH SALVATION, EXACTLY AS COMMANDED BY JESUS!
1. Obey Jesus (Heb. 5:9).
2. Believe (Heb. 11:6; Rom. 1:16; 10:17).
3. Repent (Acts 17:30).
4. Confess Jesus (Acts 8:37; cf. Rom. 10:10).
5. Be baptized:
a. in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:18-20).
b. for the remission of sins (Acts 2:38).
c. to wash away sins (Acts 22:16).
d. to be saved (1 Pet. 3:21; cf. Mk. 16:16).
e. into (to be united with) Christ (Rom. 6:3-5; Col. 2:9-13).
6. Remain faithful (1 Cor. 15:2; **Rev. 2:7, 11, 17, 26).
E. THE NINE CONVERSIONS IN THE BIBLE:
1. Day of Pentecost (Acts 2:5-47) People who believed (Acts 2:44), asked Peter what they should do (Acts 2:37). Peter commanded them to repent and be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of their sins (Acts 2:38). The people who obeyed Peter were saved and added to the church (Acts 2:40-47).
4. Paul (Acts 9:1-20; 22:16) Paul saw the Lord in a vision. Afterwards, he was blind for three days during which time he prayed (Acts 9:3-9, 11). Paul was commanded to be baptized, and wash away his sins calling on the name of the Lord (Acts 22:16).