Summary: Let us see how we the word sanctifies by His truth as His word is truth: WEANS FROM OLD DESIRES - By trusting and obeying God’s word we disengage from the old habits. We gain a new appetite for what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent admirable
Sanctify Them by Your Truth; Your Word is Truth (John 17:17)
Sanctification involves a past, present and future element of being set apart and made holy. We have been set apart from the sins of our past by believing the words of John 3:16; we are presently being made more like Jesus as we offer ourselves as living sacrifices holy and acceptable to God; and we are looking forward to being sanctified in heaven for we who have this hope in us purifies ourselves.
Sadly, many miss out on the blessings of sanctification because they choose to love the world, the flesh and the devil with the lust of the eyes of the lusts of the flesh and the boastful pride of life which are not of the Father, but are of the world.
Let us see how we the word sanctifies by His truth as His word is truth:
1. WEANS FROM OLD DESIRES - By trusting and obeying God’s word we disengage from the old habits. We gain a new appetite for what is true, noble, right, pure, lovely, excellent admirable and praise-worthy. As Jeremiah wrote, "Your words were found and I did eat them and they became a joy and the delight of my heart." (Jer 15:16)
Thy Word is a lamp to my feet,
A light to my path alway,
To guide and to save me from sin,
And show me the heav’nly way.
Thy Word have I hid in my heart,
That I might not sin against Thee;
That I might not sin, that I might not sin,
Thy Word have I hid in my heart.
Forever, O Lord, is Thy Word
Established and fixed on high;
Thy faithfulness unto all men
Abideth forever nigh.
At morning, at noon, and at night
I ever will give Thee praise;
For Thou art my portion, O Lord,
And shall be through all my days!
Thro’ Him Whom Thy Word hath foretold,
The Savior and Morning Star,
Salvation and peace have been brought
To those who have strayed afar.
2. WISDOM - The word of God gives us wisdom that is greater than man’s insights. Paul prays, "We have not stopped praying for you with and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding." (Col. 1:9) God’s word gives us His supernatural wisdom that supercedes all of man’s philosophical wisdom. The wisdom that comes from God is pure; peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. (James 3:17)
3. WARNINGS - The word of God warns us to hate what is evil and cling to what is good being devoted to one another in brotherly love, not lacking in diligence, but being fervent in spirit, serving the Lord. (Rom. 12:9-12) We can praise God that His precious and magnificent promises supply us with everything we need for life and godliness but also help us escape corruption that is in the world by lust. (2 Pet 1:3,4)
4. WORSHIP - The word of God helps us worship the Lord in spirit and in truth. (John 4:24) The living water of God’s word refreshes, cleanses and feeds our thirsty souls. His word satisfies the longing soul and fills the hungry soul with what is good. (Psa 107:9)His word helps us worship the Lord in the beauty of His holiness.
5. WIELDS - The word of God wields great authority, power, and control as it is the sword of the Spirit. We do battle against the world, the flesh and the devil with the power of God’s word. His word is able to judge the thoughts and the intents of a person’s heart. "For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Heb. 4:12) God’s word has the ability to wrestle away the controls of each person’s will for the greater control of the Holy Spirit.
6. WRESTLES - We are to take up the full armor of God as we do not wrestle against flesh and blood but against rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. (Eph. 6:10,11)The word of God makes us strong, enabled and equipped to fight the good fight of faith and come out victoriously ever time. It is great to proceed into every battle knowing you be a victor whenever you study to show yourself approved of God. A workman who does not need to be ashamed, handling accurately the word of truth. (2 Tim. 2:15)
7. WHEREWITHAL - The word of God provides us with everything that is needed for life and godliness. (2 Pet 1:3,4) His precious promise assures us that "My God will supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:19) We can be assured that His word promises that they who seek the Lord will not lack one good thing. Those who fail to stay in God’s word fail to realize that their adequacy comes from Him. (2 Cor. 3:5,6)