Summary: Sermon used for Sanctity for Life Sunday 2013
Sanctity for Human Life Month
Today is Sanctity for Human Life Sunday
The Roe V Wade Decision was made on January 22, 1973– creating a women’s constitutional right to have an abortion.
For 40 years our nation has been divided on the Subject.
• Very Decisive Issue
• Political Issue
• I believe a moral issue
TOTAL ABORTIONS SINCE 1973:
U.S. Abortion Statistics By Year (1973-Current)
National Right to Life Committee, 2012
National Right to Life Factsheet, January 2012
NOTE: These numbers excludes NH, CA, and at least one other state
• That statistic is a year old, so adding another year to the totals we are very close to 56 million babies aborted in the United States in the last 40 years or an average of almost 3700 per day.
• With that in mind I think it is very fitting that we set aside a Sunday in our churches to:
• Remember those babies that have been aborted
• To honor and protect the lives of our unborn now
• To offer HOPE to families and individuals who have been touched by abortion and not to fail to sound the message that mothers who have had abortions can be forgiven and start a new life in Jesus Christ.
TRANSITION STATEMENT: In the Bible there where evil leaders who orchestrated organized massacre of children.
First I want to call your attention to Matthew chapter 2.
• It is Matthew’s account of what happen after Jesus was born in Bethlehem.
• Matthew doesn’t mention the Shepherds but he does give detailed account of the Magi who came from the East to worship Him that had been born King of the Jews.
• Herod the king was troubled and all of Jerusalem with him and he made 2 attempts to get rid of Jesus.
• He thought he would trick the Magi in to finding Jesus and pretending that he would worship he would slay Him. However, that attempt failed because God knew Herod’s heart has He knows all hearts.
• When Herod saw that He was deceived by the wise men, became angry and he put to death all the male children who were born in Bethlehem and its districts from 2 years old and under and there was weeping and great mourning.
BACKGROUND FOR THE TEXT:
• The children of Israel have been living in Egypt about 400 years.
• Joseph came first as a slave with God’s hand upon his life.
• Jacob came with his family of 70
• Now Joseph, Jacob, and all of the family including the King of Egypt has died and the children of Israel have grown to over 2 million people and the new King is fearful of them.
• As a birth control of preventing male sons to be born to the Israelites he instructed the midwives to kill every Jewish son as they were being born.
TEXT EXODUS 1 STARTING WITH VERSE 15
“Then the king of Egypt spoke to the Hebrew midwives, of whom the name of one was Shiphrah (shif•rä') and the name of the other Puah; (pü•ä')
Stop for a moment, it highly unusual for women to be mentioned by name during this time of Biblical History. However, these two women were named I feel because their lives honored God.
16 and he said, "When you do the duties of a midwife for the Hebrew women, and see them on the birth stools, if it is a son, then you shall kill him; but if it is a daughter, then she shall live."
“But the midwives feared God, and did not do as the king of Egypt commanded them, but saved the male children alive.”
Look at the first part of verse 20.
20 Therefore God dealt well with the midwives, ………..
Look at verse 21-
21 And so it was, because the midwives feared God, that He provided households for them.
BIBLICAL TRUTHS FOR US TO TAKE HOME
TRUTH #1- GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF HIS PEOPLE IN THE WORST OF TIMES IF WE WILL JUST DO WHAT IS RIGHT.
Just want to say that I am glad for the outcome of the WET AND DRY VOTE in Greenup this past week. They voted to remain a county that does not sale alcohol.
We have been told by our political leaders too long that if we compromise our standards it will help the economy. It does not happen, it never has happen and it never will happen.
If we vote for issues and leaders that stand for the right God will take care of His people in the worst of times.