Summary: Week 29 in a Wednesday evening study through the book of Revelation
Satan Thrown Out of Heaven
Date: February 19, 2003
Place: Allendale Baptist
Text: Revelation 12: 7-12
As we closed last weeks study we were introduced to a few of the main characters in the book of Revelation.
1. The woman- who we said represents the nation of Israel.
2. The man or male child – Is the Lord Jesus Christ.
3. Dragon- who is Satan; the devil.
*As we closed with verse 6 and beginning with verse 7 this puts us in the middles of the Tribulation.
* At the mid point of the tribulation, the Antichrist will break his covenant with Israel, he will also put a stop to temple worship, he will set up the abomination of desolation which is described in Daniel 9:27 and Matthew 24:15; he devastates Jerusalem.
* At that time many Jews will flee for their lives; God will preserve them during the last 1,260 days or 42 months or 3 ½ years.
Verse 7 & 8
The next scene in this what some call cosmic drama is a “war in heaven.”
A state of war has existed since the fall of Satan.
Something will intensify that warfare; some suggest the raptured saints passing through the realm of the prince of the power of the air.
Scripture is very clear that Satan has access to heaven even today.
In Job chapter 1-2 Satan stands before God to accuse the blameless and upright.
The devil’s greatest task is to accuse the child of God; to discourage and steal our joy.
But when Jesus died on the cross, it brought about his ultimate defeat.
Satan will one day be cast down out of heaven as seen here in Revelation 12:31-33; and finally cast into hell as we will see in Revelation 20:10.
“Nor was a place found for them in heaven any longer”
No match for Michael and his angels Satan will be permanently dislodged, never to gain access to heaven.
This forceful eviction must be the chief cause of the Great Tribulation, the last 3 ½ years.
The dragon is identified to us as “That serpent of old” or “Devil and Satan”.
Devil comes from the Greek word to “slander” or “falsely accuse”.
It is said that the devil is a malignant, dangerous liar.
I used to have a young man that worked for me and others nicknamed him “Lying” Johnny Smith. (Not his real name)
The story was that you could tell when he was lying because his lips were moving.
That’s the way Satan is; he is constantly lying.
The devil is convincing people today that every religion is a good as the next on.
The Devil is convincing people that this book is not the ennorant, infallible Word of God.
Satan means adversary or enemy.
We have 2 problems with people today
1. Some are over occupied with the devil. They blame the devil for everything.
This is the shout of heaven.
The devil is cast down to earth and heaven rejoices.
Verse 11 & 12
“The blood of the Lamb”
This is the finished the work of Christ
Matthew Henry says these are the tools which defeated Satan