Summary: Satan uses subtle techniques to destroy the Church.
Mayor Gerardo Balmori
The Salvation Army
Thesis: Satan uses subtle techniques to destroy the Church.
1. Satan is trying to destroy our church!
a. Not by false teaching (know Bible too well); not by persecution (it would only make us stronger).
b. His techniques are subtle (1 Pet. 5:8; Eph. 6:10-12).
2. At least 7 ways Satan is trying to destroy our church.
I. INSTILLING PRIDE (Gal. 5:25-26).
1. Tries to get us to break ranks by causing some to have "big head."
2. Paul warns against this strategy of Satan in Rom. 12:3.
II. CREATING LOYALTIES TO MEN (1 Cor. 1:10-17).
1. Satan loves it when Christians are more loyal to men than to Christ.
2. Must avoid "Preacheritis, Elderitis, Deaconitis, Bro. Big Bucksitis, etc."
III. CULTIVATING SELF-INTEREST (Phil. 2:1-5).
1. Easy for a church to talk about concern for others then everyone do own thing!
2. Satan doesn't care how much we talk, just doesn't want us to do anything.
IV. PROMOTING SPECULATIVE TEACHING (2 Tim. 2:14-16, 23-24).
1. Satan loves for Bible classes to turn into debates over picayune matters--Did Adam have a bellybutton?
Sex in Garden of Eden? Who wrote Hebrews? etc.
2. Such discussions drive wedges between those for whom Christ died.
V. ENCOURAGING RESPECT OF PERSONS (James 2:1-4).
1. Satan loves to use socio-economic tools to keep people out/divide church.
2. We must not fall victim to this scheme (Acts 10:34-35).
VI. CAUSING US TO LIVE LIVES UNWORTHY OF THE GOSPEL (Eph.
1. Unworthy lives does double-duty for Satan ("kills 2 birds with one stone").
a. WITHIN: Endangers soul of one walking unworthy and those he/she influences.
b. WITHOUT: Opens door to charge of hypocrisy; turns others away.
2. What sort of "unworthiness" did Paul have in mind?
a. Lying (4:25).
b. Anger (4:26).
c. Unwholesome speech (4:29).
d. Lack of kindness/forgiveness (4:32).
e. Sexual immorality (5:3).
f. Drunkenness (5:18).
g. Lousy marriages (5:22-33).
h. Disobedience to parents (6:1-3).
i. Overbearing parents (6:4).
VII. WORKING TO INSURE A LACK OF MATURITY (Heb. 5:11-14).
1. Satan loves it when people who have been Christians for 20 yrs. are still feeding on first
2. One of the reasons he loves it is because people never become mature enough to discover what
he is up to!
1. Let's not be ignorant of Satan's schemes!