Summary: In looking to be satisfied, we will never feel complete. When we trust that God has control, & has us. Then we are satisfied, because He always has the better plan.
Sermon- The satisfied soul
- Last week I raised the question of why isn’t revival happening.
- A big reason lies in the fact that we are in the middle of what seems to be a time of
- Now, Think of what it means to prosper.
- I know being financially secure usually lands at the top of that list.
- You know, just as well as I do, that to be financially secure only lasts for a
- In a moment things can be turned on their head.
- All it takes is one surgery, & it can change your prosperity.
- That’s why there is no revival. It’s because we simply cannot see passed the
temporary, & when the temporary is gone, we’re too depressed to come the
only One who will prosper us.
- Last week I had the theme of a sinking soul, because when we’re sinking an
answered is demanded, Will I die, or will I live.
- Open your Bibles to one verse, Psalm 62:5, & as you turn there ask yourself,
Q- Where does my help come from?
5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
- If all your physical prosperity crashed, like Job’s, you would still be joyous, because
you don’t receive joy from those physical things you receive it from the Lord.
- That’s the idea of a satisfied soul.
- There’s a lot misconception that goes along with prosperity.
> The oil field (http://jokes.christiansunite.com/Bible/The_Oil_Find.shtml)
Two old friends met one day after many years. One attended college, and now was very successful. The other had not attended college and never had much ambition.
The successful one said, "How has everything been going with you?"
"Well, one day I opened the Bible at random, and dropped my finger on a word and it was oil. So, I invested in oil, and boy, did the oil wells gush. Then another day I dropped my finger on another word and it was gold. So, I invested in gold and those mines really produced. Now, I'm as rich as Rockefeller."
The successful friend was so impressed that he rushed to his hotel, grabbed a Gideon Bible, flipped it open, and dropped his finger on a page. He opened his eyes and his finger rested on the words, "Chapter Eleven."
- When we’re following the Lord it’s easy to put ourselves in front of God.
- We often get the idea that we know all there is to know about God, & there’s not
much else we need to learn.
- Believe me, There’s nothing farther from the truth!
- Along with that idea comes a level of expectancy that we expect things to go the way
we want it, or think it should go.
- Now we’re talking about a satisfied soul, & that means a soul that is complete/full.
Q- How can a soul be complete when it’s hurting?
- Let me read you another Psalm, Psalm 146:5-10, & the psalmist confides In us
where his strength comes from.
5 Happy is he that hath the God of Jacob for his help, whose hope is in the Lord his God:
6 Which made heaven, and earth, the sea, and all that therein is: which keepeth truth for ever:
7 Which executeth judgment for the oppressed: which giveth food to the hungry. The Lord looseth the prisoners:
8 The Lord openeth the eyes of the blind: the Lord raiseth them that are bowed down: the Lord loveth the righteous:
9 The Lord preserveth the strangers; he relieveth the fatherless and widow: but the way of the wicked he turneth upside down.
10 The Lord shall reign for ever, even thy God, O Zion, unto all generations. Praise ye the Lord.
- The Psalmist is exclaiming that I will wait on the Lord, because He is able to deliver
- Now notice that he did not say when God will deliver the people, when the Lord
will reign, or even how it was going to happen.
- What he did say was, I know it will happen.
Q- How could he know that it was going to happen?
- He knew because he sees how much God loves us.
28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
- When our heart is breaking, & life is too much. God says, wait on Me.
- Now the form of wait on Me.
- I don’t believe that’s the picture of a monk, sitting Indian style, humming.
- The prevalent form is talking with God, it is often a prayer of need, & a prayer