Summary: Disobedience brings disastrous results
- When the pressure is on We have a tendency to crack
- Once an egg is broken you can’t put it back together again
- Humpty Dumpty
❶ His Kingdom Established
- 11:14-15 Saul made King
- Ch 12 - Samuel reviews past
- 12:14-15 God’s promise
- 12:16-19 God’s witness
- Samuel’s Encouragement
- 13:1 - Saul Reigned Two Years
- First year Saul was learning
- Now a great fall
Read – Show Map of Ch. 13
❷ His Assignment was Clear.
- Explanation of verse 8 - back to 10:8.
- Saumel’s words both urgent and explicit.
- "Seven days shall thou tarry, till I come to thee, and show thee what thou shall do. "
- 10:7 He was to do as occasion served him
- In crisis - He was to wait for the ministry and guidance of the man of God.
- If chosen by God – then do the will of God
- Is. 30:21 - This is the way, walk ye in it.
❸ His Faith was Tested.
- v.5 The Philistines had gathered to fight
- Israel was leaving
- He waited the prescribed time
- What a test to his faith and patience!
- A struggle in his soul;
- A conflict between faith and sight!
❹ His Failure was Great.
- v 9-10 Samuel came at the end of the offering
- Waited almost to the end
- Now he choose his own way
- Stepped out of the purpose and favour of God
-We will have our testing time.
Twigs" written by Chris Harken from Maple Grove, Minnesota USA
A female eagle has an interesting way of picking a mate. She will pick up a twig and fly high into the air and drop it. Male eagles will fly beneath her and try to catch the twig. She will do this until a male has caught the twig three times.
The reason is the female is testing the male for his ability to catch
young eagles as they are directed out of the nest for flight. When its time for the young eagle to fly on its own the mother eagle pushes her young out of the nest. She carries the young eaglets on her back up high into the air and shakes them off. It is the responsibility of the father to swoop down and catch the young eaglets until they learn to fly on their own.
Just as the female eagle is testing the male for his reliability, a
believer will be tested by God in his or her faithfulness and
Similarly in our walk with God we often times run into difficult
situations that require us to make decisions. These decisions are
clear indications to the Father whether or not we can be trusted to
move ahead to the next level of responsibility.
As the female eagle tests the male with twigs to determine which one would be her choice for a mate. God is testing us through daily
decisions to determine which ones He can rely on to be used to build His kingdom.
❺ His Excuse was Hollow.
w. 11- 12
- Direct rebellion against the commandment of the Lord (v. 13).
- For unbelief and disobedience there can be no excuse.
- Matt. 7. 26 - He that heareth ... & doeth them not
- Building life on sand
❻ His Failure was Disastrous.
- v. 14
- Saul has turned away from the Lord
- Now the Lord seeks another
- Choosing our own way is to choose loss