Summary: People today still do not fully understand who Jesus is.
March 20, 2005 (Palm Sunday)
Chester, Illinois FBC Chester Mike Fogerson, Speaker
A TRUE OR FALSE?
Palm Sunday celebrates the day Jesus made his triumphal entry into Jerusalem. Test your knowledge of that day’s events, recorded in all four Gospels, with these true or false statements.
1. According to the Gospels, the people waved palm branches when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday.
2. The date of Jesus’ triumphal entry-five days before Passover-was a special holiday in his time.
3. By their actions, the people were publicly proclaiming Jesus as the Messiah.
4. The fact that Jesus rode a donkey portrayed him as a warrior king.
5. The shouts of "Hosanna!" meant "Praise the Lord!"
6. The route Jesus chose for his triumphal entry was down the side of Mount Zion.
7. When the people spread branches and garments in Jesus’ path it was to pay him honor.
8. The shouts of "Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord" were words of a Jewish hymn.
B Today, we’ll be looking at the message, "Save Now"
a 9 The crowds going ahead of Him, and those who followed, were shouting, "Hosanna to the Son of David; BLESSED IS HE WHO COMES IN THE NAME OF THE LORD; Hosanna in the highest!" 10 When He had entered Jerusalem, all the city was stirred, saying, "Who is this?" Matt 21:9-10 (NASB)
b The crowds at the first Palm Sunday did not fully grasp who was entering town on the donkey. (ETS)
(IL.) Every spring, hundreds of Hollywood "stars" gather for the Academy Awards. Very few "slip in the back door:" instead, they make an entrance. They walk down the long red carpet, smiling at the cameras and waving to the people in the stands (who, by the way, all had to apply and go through extensive background checks), showing off their clothing (and undoubtedly a bit more), chatting with the reporters. Some will go to great, great lengths just to be noticed.
Contrast that with Jesus: to the man healed of leprosy in Matt. 8, He said: "See that you don’t tell anyone." To the two blind men He healed in Matt. 9, He, "warned them sternly, ‘See that no one knows about this.’" And in Mark 1, a demon possessed man in Capernaum yelled out "I know who you are – the Holy One of God!", to which Jesus replied "Be quiet!"
Jesus often chose not to be in the limelight. In fact, most of Jesus ministry happened outside of the capital city of Jerusalem, away from the big pomp and ceremony of the Temple, in small towns and villages along the way.
Until today. Until the event we know as "The Triumphal Entry," the day we remember each year as Palm Sunday. This day all of that changes. Now, we see Jesus entering the city of Jerusalem being proclaimed as Messiah and King.
C People today still do not full understand who Jesus is. (ESS)
a I hope you’ll warmly respond to Jesus when He enters where you live. (Objective)
b What will you tell Jesus today? (Probing Question)
T.S.: Let’s look at two phrases that we could possibly tell Jesus ashe comes our way today.
I The first phrase that we could tell Jesus today is . . . HOSANNA TO THE SON OF DAVID.