Summary: When a Christian dresses like Christ, they will display to the world their new position, personality, and priorities
Introduction: Our journey through the book of Colossians.
• If Christ is all I need, then chapters three and four outline what it looks like to live out that statement; where the “rubber meets the
road” in the Christian life.
• Just like in 3:5, we read in verse 12 the word is “THEREFORE”, telling us to read the previous verses. Last week, we saw that
the Apostle Paul encouraging Christians to daily put to death any sign of sin that might try to wrap itself around us, or sin that we
start wearing….the old nature reflects an out-of-date style that a Christian should not even attempt to try on.
• In verses 12-17, we find Paul uses the same “clothing” language, but this time he is going to encourage Christians on what they
should wear or “put on”. Remember, this letter is written to Christians have been under attack by false teachers who have sought
to divide and conquer their church; but the more they stand on the Word of God and live out His Word, they will be able to
overcome any assault.
• Why is it important to dress like Christ?
• Ill: I do not like dressing rooms; or having to try on clothes. If the numbers are close, and I like the look, I just buy it. (but that
laziness has got be in trouble)
Proposition: When a Christian dresses like Christ, they will display to the world their new position, personality, and priorities
I. Christ is All You Need to Believe In. II. Christ is All You Need to Stand For.
III. Christ is All I Need to Live For. (key 3:17)
B. Say Yes to the Dress.
1. My New Style Reflects My New Position (3:12a)
a. “Chosen” – elect means to be chosen. Ill: just as we choose a puppy from the pound, or fish from the pet store…
the power to choose rests only with God. God chose Israel, David, , and these believers.
b. “Sanctified” – means called to live holy/set apart lives. 1 Peter 2:9 We have not been saved in order to wear
the “enemies” merchandise.
c. “Loved” – we are objects of God’s great unconditional love
2. My New Style Reflects My New Personality. (3:12b-14)
a. “Serving Others”
• Notice the clothing options are all characteristics needed as we interact with others.
• Tender mercies (heart felt compassion) & Kindness
• Humility & Meekness; strength under control, opposite of pride.
• Longsuffering & bearing with one other speak of enduring or holding out in spite of negative results or output
from others. It speaks of not easily giving up on someone, even if that someone is difficult.
b. “Forgiving Others” – Even if someone strikes first, be quick to forgive. Eph. 4:32. If we are not able to forgive, we
are not wearing Christ.
c. “Loving Others” – “Above all, put on love which is the bond of perfection.” The over coat that wraps all our new
dress together is God’s love. God’s love is
3. My New Style Reflects My New Priorities. (3:15-17)