Summary: This is the sermon used for Parent’s Night at this years Vacation Bible School. The VBS used was "Great Kingdom Capers".
Series: Vacation Bible School Parent’s Night 2003
SEARCHING FOR THE TRUTH
1. This year’s VBS is focused upon living a life of character.
12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience.
13 Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
2. Before a person can be clothed with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, patience, forgiveness, and love; they first must be one of God’s chosen people. How do you do that?
3. For the next couple of minutes, let’s search for the truth concerning being God’s chosen people.
5 This is the message we have heard from him and declare to you: God is light; in him there is no darkness at all. 6 If we claim to have fellowship with him yet walk in the darkness, we lie and do not live by the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin. 8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.
1. God is light.
2. Sin is dark and separates us from God.
3. All have sinned and the penalty of sin is eternal death in Hell.
1. God made it possible for us to be rescued from darkness and destruction and be reunited with Him.
2. Jesus lived a perfect life on this earth and was crucified on a cross for the sins of the world. On the third day He was risen from the dead.
3. Jesus became the bridge for us to God.
1. Now that you know about the truth, there is one thing left. It is accepting God’s gift of salvation.
2. This gift is free, but it is the only way to salvation.
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
3. The price of sin is death but God’s gift is eternal life in Heaven.