Summary: The Bible in the Old Testament foretold the first coming of Jesus Christ and it was fulfilled but Bible also fortells the second coming of Jesus Christ. For some it will be a day of joy but for some it will be time of grief, pain and suffering. Jesus is
The Second Coming of Jesus Christ
“…I will come again.”
Biblical prophecy provides some of the greatest encouragement and hope available to us today. Just as the Old Testament is saturated with prophecies concerning Christ’s first advent, so both testaments are filled with references to the second coming of Christ. One scholar has estimated that there are 1,845 references to Christ’s second coming in the Old Testament, where 17 books give it prominence. In the 260 chapters of the New Testament, there are 318 references to the second advent of Christ—an amazing 1 out of every 30 verses. Twenty-three of the 27 New Testament books refer to this great event. For every prophecy in the Bible concerning Christ’s first advent, there are 8 which look forward to His second!
Acts 1:10,11 describes the ascension of Jesus as being…
4. power (glory)
1st coming of Jesus, the Savior, was in humiliation – SERVANT (in humility).
2nd coming of Jesus, the King, will be glorious – KING (in glory & majesty).
In theology, the study of the last things to happen to earth is called ESCATHOLOGY… Greek eschatos (last) and logos (study).
Now Jesus Christ is in heaven, seated at the right hand of the Father, as our exalted PROPHET, PRIEST and KING, waiting for the time appointed by the Father to return to earth.
3 Greek words used of this event in the NT:
1. parousia (presence) 1 Thess. 3:13
2. apokalysis (revelation) 2 Thess. 1:7-8
3. epiphaneia (appearance) 2 Thess 2:8; Titus 2:13
The coming of Jesus will be nothing less than His ascension into heaven: Acts 1:11
It will be an event of which everyone on earth will be abruptly aware, for it will mean the end things as they are and the universal recognition of the true identity of Jesus of Nazareth: Matt. 24:27; Rev. 1:7
In the study of the return or Second Coming of Christ, scholars hold that Jesus Christ will come in 2 Stages:
1. secretly to gather His faithful people –
1 Thess. 4:15-17
2. then, (seven) years later openly to be seen by all – Rev.1:7
A. Prophecies of Christ’s Second Coming
Jesus Christ coming was prophesied and those prophecies came to pass literally. This gives us great confidence that the prophecies of His 2nd coming will also be fulfilled literally… not figuratively or in a spiritual sense. It was foretold by:
1. The prophets – Daniel 7:13
2. Jesus Himself – Matt. 25:31
3. Angels – Acts 1:10,11
None of these prophecies were fulfilled in His 1st coming because they are meant to be fulfilled in His 2nd coming.
Promise of Christ’s return…
John 14:1-3 - Christ Himself promised His return
2 Pet. 3:9,10-13 - a disciple’s witness of Christ’s promise
B. Purpose of Jesus Christ’s 2nd Coming (Why?)
1. To complete the salvation of saints – Heb. 9:28
He has delivered us from the power and penalty of sin but then He shall deliver us from the presence of sin.
2. To be glorified in His saints – 2 Thess. 1:10
3. To bring to light the hidden things of darkness – 1 Cor. 4:5; 5:10 “… make manifest the counsel of the heart.”
An examination of the motives and the deeds of everyone, believer and unbeliever, together with judgment based on this evidence.
4. Judge – Jesus Christ will be the judge of the nations and every person who has ever lived. 2 Tmothy 4:1 “judge the quick and the dead.”
5. Reign – Revelation 11:15 “… He shall reign forever & ever.”
6. Receive us to be with Himself – John 14:3 “… where I am, there you may be also.” Revelation 21-22 – God Himself is presented dwelling with His people in the new Heaven and Earth, in eternal happiness and new order of existence.
7. Destroy Death – 1 Cor. 15:25,26 “… the last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.”
The resurrection (Grk. anastasis) of each and every person who has ever lived is part of God’s plan for the human race. (Dan. 12:2, John 5:28-29; Acts 24:15); but the resurrection of the wicked will be the beginning of God’s judgment on them, while the resurrection of the righteous will be the beginning of their life in Christ in the fullness of the kingdom of God.
C. Time of His Coming (When?)
1. Only the Father knows – Matt. 24:36-44; 1 Thess. 5:2
Jesus Christ as God is omniscient and certainly knows the exact moment when it will occur.
Hour unknown – He comes like a thief in the night
One is taken, the other left
2. It is a movable date (2 Pet. 3:12) that can be advanced or retarded depending on the speed or slowness of taking the Gospel to every tribe (Matt. 24:14)