Summary: This is the battle that was raging in Eden!
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
December 8, 2013
Seed of a Woman
Genesis certainly is a strange place to preach/Christmas sermon.
• Here/midst of man’s greatest tragedy
• revelation of man’s greatest hope
• here the tale of sin, judgment and death
• meet/message/saving Gospel and
• Person of the Lamb of God for the first time.
• What more/wonderful message to preach for Advent.
God has made man in His image.
• He created man/perfect innocence
• Placed him in a perfect environment.
• Adam/given dominion over/Lord’s entire creation
• Presented/perfect companion/woman called Eve.
• They live/idyllic existence, free/pain, disease, death/sorrow.
Every need they have is met and they enjoy unbroken, unhindered fellowship with God Himself, Gen. 2:8-9.
Only restriction: one tree
• “The tree of the knowledge of good and evil.”
• Adam/warned to stay away from this tree
• to eat its fruit will bring death into the world
Gen 3:15 “And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and hers; he will crush your head, and you will strike his heel.”
• Everything else/Bible flows from these words.
• As the acorn contains the mighty oak
• These words contain the entire plan of salvation.
• would be fulfilled thousands of years later/Calvary
• Neither Adam or Eve could fully have known what these words would one day mean.
• right in the middle of this tragedy is a flicker of hope.
Verse 15 shines out of this darkness like a great beacon, illuminating the amazing grace of God.
I. The personality of the promised lamb
This Lamb Is Unique In His Origin
• Told/One Who is coming “the seed of the woman.”
• strange statement
• Told/woman will produce/offspring w/o aid of a man.
• First prophecy/Virgin birth/Lord Jesus Christ.
• Satan/Adam/Eve did not understand it
God indicates He will send His Lamb/world through a woman without the involvement of a man!
• This is how the birth of Jesus came about.
• Isaiah prophesied it, Isa. 7:14
• angel Gabriel announced it to Mary and Joseph
Why is this important?
• Bible teaches sin/sin nature/handed down through the man
Every person who/entered/world through/old fashioned method inherited a sin nature, and is a sinner at birth
• Birth of Jesus/different.
• He came into this world without a human father
• Born w/o taint of sin! pure and sinless
• qualified to die for the sins of humanity, 2 Cor. 5:21.
birth/Jesus particularly unique is the fact that He was no ordinary baby, but He was, and is, God in the flesh
This Lamb Is Unique In His Occupation
• coming into/world to do battle with/forces of evil.
• coming to “bruise” the serpent’s head.
This refers to a fatal injury.
Coming to this world not to show men a better way to live.
• not coming to improve their environment.
• not coming to improve their social standing.
• He was coming to defeat evil.
• His sole mission
• deliver humanity from the sin into which it had just fallen.
II. The purpose of the promised lamb
He Would Come As A Warrior
• “enmity” means “hatred or enemy.”
It refers to
• Hatred Satan possesses toward/Lord all/Lord represents.
• hatred that resided within the heart/devil
• Hatred/caused him to attack Adam and Eve/Garden and tempt them to sin.
Hatred/desires nothing less than/overthrow/Lord/His kingdom.
hatred that demands the death of God and the installation of Satan as god, Isa. 14:12-16; Eze. 28:11-19.
• This is the battle that was raging in Eden!
• It had less to do with mankind
• than it did/Satan’s desire to wage war on God Almighty.
We are told/One Who is coming was coming world as a Warrior.
• Who would engage/warfare with/determined enemy.
• Taking up the fight Adam lost in Garden of Eden.
• He would come to do battle with Satan!
Of course, Jesus did just that!
From the instant this prophecy was given in Genesis 3:15 until the moment Jesus Christ died on the cross and rose again from the dead; Satan did everything in his power to stop “the seed of the woman” from being born.
• He worked through Cain to kill Abel, Gen. 4.
• Sought/corrupt/human blood line through evil marriages
• He tried to kill the people of Israel in Egypt, Ex. 1-2.
Then when Jesus was born, Satan tried to destroy Him as an infant, Matt. 2.
It was the devil:
• The heart of Judas/betray Jesus
• Of Peter to deny him/chief Priests/prosecute him.
• Pilate to condemn him.
Who was behind the crucifixion of Jesus?
• The ungodly line of Satan.
• Real “Conflict of the Ages