Summary: If symbolism is gold, then Ex. 12 is ‘Fort Knox!’ A passage rich in practical truths to enhance Christian living. Link inc. to formatted text, audio, and PowerPoint.
The OT is rich in symbolism. Throughout it you find golden gems...stories which could stand alone and be powerful enough, and yet they have further meaning which apply later in the NT. If symbolism is riches, then Ex. 12 is ‘Wall Street.’ If symbolism is gold, then Ex. 12 is ‘Fort Knox!’
7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: 8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
Let’s look at Ex. 12 verse by verse...
2 This month shall be unto you the beginning of months: it shall be the first month of the year to you. 3 Speak ye unto all the congregation of Israel, saying, In the tenth day of this month they shall take to them every man a lamb, according to the house of their fathers, a lamb for an house:
* BEGINNING = Of everything, new life in Christ.
* LAMB = JESUS, the Lamb of God. (Jn 1:29)
4 And if the household be too little for the lamb, let him
and his neighbour next unto his house take it according to
the number of the souls; every man according to his eating
shall make your count for the lamb. 5 Your lamb shall be
without blemish, a male of the first year: ye shall take it
out from the sheep, or from the goats:
* TOO LITTLE = He is sufficient.
* WITHOUT BLEMISH = Jesus had no sin. (II Cor. 5:21)
* MALE OF THE FIRST YEAR = Young male.
* AMONG THE SHEEP = Jesus took upon Himself the form of flesh.
6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the
same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of
Israel shall kill it in the evening.
* KEEP IT UP = Jesus was imprisoned and examined by Caiaphas, Pilate, and others.
* WHOLE ASSEMBLY = All people involved and responsible.
* KILL IT = Crucifixion. No priest – Man himself slew the Lamb. We are responsible for the death of Christ.
7 And they shall take of the blood, and strike it on the two
side posts and on the upper door post of the houses,
wherein they shall eat it.
* BLOOD = Must be applied by the act of faith.
= Without the shedding of blood, no remission of sin.
8 And they shall eat the flesh in that night, roast with
fire, and unleavened bread; and with bitter herbs they
shall eat it.
* ROAST WITH FIRE = Fiery judgment of God, Christ on the cross.
* EAT = Partake of Christ personally.
Then Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except ye eat the flesh of the Son of man, and drink his blood, ye have no life in you.
* IN THAT NIGHT =
(For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)
* UNLEAVENED BREAD = Leaven pictures sin.
For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.