Summary: The remedy for worry, fear, purposelessness, frustration and lack of provision and the recipe for a fulfilled, fruitful and God-pleasing life. (As close to a formula as I ever get!)
"Seek first the Kingdom of God" Mt 6:28-34 WBC 19/6/05am
You know I’m not strongly ’formulaic’
- life isn’t that simple
- formulas can let you down
But I have a formula for you this morning. I have a guaranteed recipe… remedy for:
- worry (here), provision (here), life, church!, purposelessness, frustration, fruitfulness (this IS the secret!)… all!
If you will listen to what Jesus says, this morning- the penny will drop…hope and help will come
- (of course I’m not Jesus! I’m talking about His words. Do you trust Jesus… His words?)
- then please listen
Maybe you are seeking something. You’re seeking God for something…. or (being more blunt and honest!)- you WANT something. From Him.
- "I want God to do something for me". I want:
o financial help. Get finances sorted
o to get my spirit sorted. "Do it, God, please!"
o that job, That promotion. Accommodation. House
o to overcome my brokenness
o God to take away this worry, fear
o His power with my ageing parents. More grace
o Him to sort this family problem out!
o A partner!
o Help for my children
o To be useful. Guidance, Direction.
o His intervention…..
Do you want these things? Is that where your focus has been?
- maybe you’re frustrated because God’s not coming up with the goods?
- Maybe you think He doesn’t care?
o Or: why it’s really frustrating! You know He does, but He’s not doing anything!
But I need to ask you- "if you want God to do what YOU require of Him… are you doing what He requires of you? First?"
- actually: there is no reason, guarantee or promise that when we say ’Jump’, the almighty will just say "how high, Ewen?!"
- and there is no promise that is we are not doing our part He will do His part
o (He often does- but that is unmerited grace. Not a promise)
- He is not a tame lion! He IS safe…but not tame… our ’pet’
It says in PS 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
PS 37:5 Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
PS 37:6 He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
PS 37:7 Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
do not fret when men succeed in their ways,
when they carry out their wicked schemes.
Are you? Are you doing your bit? Seriously? Or do you think God can be fooled…. He’s some kind of slot machine?
Here is the recipe for ’the desires of your heart’…. ’everything else you NEED’…. ’God’s power, even’
SEEK FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD
This is what we are to seek- and if we look to this… to God’s will… He’ll look to our needs. Worries. Fears. Provisions
- but we must seek it first
- as Richard Foster says in celebration of discipline ’the person who does not seek the kingdom of God first, does not seek it at all’
If you don’t do this
- you build the house, but the labour is in vain
- you earn your money only to put it in pockets with holes
- everything is topsy-turvy
- the promises of God can seem empty and unfulfilled
What is the Kingdom that we are to seek? What does it mean?
- this will shock you! It was the complete focus of Jesus’ ministry