Summary: One thing the Book of Ruth tells us is death of Fatherhood and rise of Motherhood. All the men died – all the women lived. In today's society, fatherhood is on the decline. Elimelech wanted the best for his family. But some things went wrong. He resembles many fathers today.
SERIES: “WOW! WHOSE YOUNG DAUGHTER IS THAT? (PART 4) WHERE DID FATHER ELIMELECH GO WRONG?”
1. Ruth 1:1 Now it came to pass, in the days when the judges ruled, that there was a famine in the land. And a certain man of Bethlehem, Judah, went to dwell in the country of Moab, he and his wife and his two sons. 2 The name of the man was Elimelech, the name of his wife was Naomi, and the names of his two sons were Mahlon and Chilion - Ephrathites of Bethlehem, Judah. And they went to the country of Moab and remained there. 3 Then Elimelech, Naomi’s husband, died; and she was left, and her two sons. 4 Now they took wives of the women of Moab: the name of the one was Orpah, and the name of the other Ruth. And they dwelt there about ten years. 5 Then both Mahlon and Chilion also died; so the woman survived her two sons and her husband.
2. Ruth 2:5 Then Boaz said to his servant who was in charge of the reapers, “Wow! Whose Young Daughter Is That?”
INTRO: SERIES: WOW! WHOSE YOUNG DAUGHTER IS THAT: PT4 – WHERE DID FATHER ELIMELECH GO WRONG?
SERIES: An Intro (God Can Change Your Story); Love Is More Than Kissing; Getting Out Of Mara – Dealing With Bitterness; Father’s Day Message - Where Did Elimelech Go Wrong?, Behold A Woman Lay At His Feet - Marriage Before Sex; Characteristics Of A Good Spouse; Here Comes The Bride; When The Honeymoon Is Over - How Satan Attacks Christian Marriages; What Do You Do When You Realize You’ve Married The Wrong Person; The In-Laws Factor; You Can Begin Again (About Divorce Or Death); Life Without A Spouse, Etc.
THE DEATH OF FATHERHOOD IN THE BOOK OF RUTH
One Thing This Book Of Ruth Tells Us Is The Death Of Fatherhood And The Rise Of Motherhood. All the men died – all the women lived. In our society today, fathers or fatherhood is on the decline. I am not talking about fathering children – that is on the increase. I am talking about fatherhood. Elimelech wanted the best for his family. But some things went wrong. He resembles many fathers today. Fatherhood Is An Endangered Species. Endangered Species Act was signed December 28, 1973, and provides for the conservation of species (plant, animal, ecosystem) that are endangered or threatened or facing risk of extinction or disappearance. Put Spiritual Fathers are on the endangered species list. In politics, see fathers who call themselves Christians and lie & deceive openly. In churches, they care less about the things of God.
Elimelech Is A Picture Of A Backslidden Christian. Proverbs 14:14 The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, but a good man will be satisfied from above. Today, you don’t hear many preachers talk about hell or backsliding. Illustration: A pastor asked a church member if he knew what backsliding was: “Sure, I used to suffer from it, but I had surgery and fixed it up.” Another said it was a kind of dance they do in Texas. Backsliding isn’t a kind of dance or a medical problem. Backsliding happens when a Christian stops advancing in his / her walk with God; instead they are sliding back into their old sins and habits. From the life of Elimelech, a father of his family, let us make 4 observations about a backslidden Christian or father.
STATISTICS ON CHRISTIAN FAMILY
1. 7% of saved children will help lead both of their parents to faith in Jesus Christ.
2. 23% of saved wives & mothers will help lead their husbands & children to faith in Jesus Christ.
3. 94% of saved husbands & fathers will help lead their entire family to faith in Jesus Christ.
STATISTICS HAVE PROVEN THAT:
? Children With Fathers Are Less Likely To Live In Poverty.
? Children With Fathers Do Better In School.
? Children With Fathers Are Less Likely To Do Jail Time.
? Children With Fathers Are Less Likely To Abuse Drugs And Alcohol.
? Children With Fathers Are Less Likely To Be Sexually Active As Teenagers.
? Children With Fathers Are More Likely To Be Encouraged To Take Healthy Risks.
? Children With Fathers Gain Many Additional Benefits To Health And Happiness.
? Children With Spiritual Fathers Are Most Likely To Succeed.
? Children With Fathers Are Most Likely To Have Spiritual Homes.
OBSERVATIONS ABOUT FATHERS FROM THE LIFE OF ELIMELECH
1. It’s Very Easy For Fathers To Turn From God During A Time Of General Wickedness: The historical setting of this story is important. Ruth 1:1 “…In the days when the judges ruled”. The period of the Judges was one of the most wicked in Israel’s history. Joshua and Caleb were dead, so the Israelites lacked spiritual leaders. The people turned to idolatry & immorality. Judges came on the scene to call them back to repentance, but few were great leaders. This entire period can be summarized by the last verse in Judges 21:25: “In those days Israel had no king; everyone did as he saw fit”. How Did This Show In Elimelech’s Case?