Summary: We need to be serious fishers of men!
Sermon for 1/12/03
A. My fishing at the farm pond. Not serious, just wanted to get away.
B. Fishing with my grandpa. Little more serious. Fun but serious.
C. Fishing at a bass tournament
1. Pay a registration fee and then an entry fee. Compete for cash, new boat, etc.
2. Fishers of Men is a Christian Fishing Tournament. Friday night Pre-Tournament meetings where contestants receive a free meal, lots of door prizes, and an inspirational message. It is a non-profit ministry. Want to put the program on a Christian TV station.
3. National Tournament for 2002- Ladd Whicker and Steve Sink brought their record setting catch to the stage. Al heaved the heavy contents into the basket and placed on the lid. A hush came over the crowd as the scales were trying to settle down, then Al made the call, “23.52 pounds, looks like we have some new leaders!” For the first place finish the new Fishers Of Men National Champions received a fully rigged 2003 TR-20 Triton, powered by a 200hp Mercury.
A. Beliefs and attitudes toward fishing for fish affect the outcome.
B. Beliefs and attitudes and convictions toward fishing for men affect the outcome as well.
Thesis: 3 beliefs are detrimental to fishing for men, they come from the devil.
1. Jesus Christ is not the only way to salvation.
1. I am the bread of life.
2. I am the light of the world.
3. (John 10:9 NIV) I am the gate; whoever enters through me will be saved. He will come in and go out, and find pasture.
5. (John 15:5 NIV) "I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.(John 15:6 NIV) If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned.
6. (Rev 1:18 NIV) I am the Living One; I was dead, and behold I am alive for ever and ever! And I hold the keys of death and Hades.
7. (John 14:6 NIV) Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
B. Buddists, Muslims, Jewish, Zoaraster, Shintu, Ancestor Worship, they’ll be OK even if they don’t believe in Jesus. Just as long as you are sincere. Many ways to get from here to Indianapolis. However, we should be thankful for the one way that God has provided.
C. Those groups who mess with Jesus. Jesus was just an angel. Jesus was a Son of God just like we can be. Jesus appeared to Indians, etc. (Gal 1:8 NIV) But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned!
D. (2 John 1:7 NIV) Many deceivers, who do not acknowledge Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh, have gone out into the world. Any such person is the deceiver and the antichrist.(2 John 1:9 NIV) Anyone who runs ahead and does not continue in the teaching of Christ does not have God; whoever continues in the teaching has both the Father and the Son.