Summary: So the Shepherd – he’s to lead and feed, he’s to choose and cultivate, and he’s to watch and warn.
1. It must have been something special to serve alongside of Paul the Apostle, to be with him in the ministry!
a. Paul was definitely a go-getter.
b. Calling him a ball of fire would probably be very accurate.
c. He was a man passionately in love with Jesus Christ.
d. Willing to do anything. Willing to go anywhere.
e. For the sake of Jesus… for the sake of the souls of men and women whom Jesus died for! He described it as:
2 Tim. 4.6 For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand.
I’m SURE SERVING WITH Paul had to have it’s moments!
His life WAS predictable at times. He taught the Word of God, saw countless saved, and moved on to the next city that needed to hear the Word filled with people that needed to get saved.
• YET his life was also UNPREDICTABLE at times. Will he start another riot here? Will he stay a little longer? Will he have to confront the false teachers one on one?
• At times you could REST, while other times you RAN!
• For sure it was a time of unparalled ministry & SERVICE.
Despite the busyness of Paul’s life, we find in him an example that’s crucial to our own success.
• Paul invested his life in people, from all walks of life.
• The difficult, the easy. The believers & unbelievers.
• The holy, the hypocritical, the happy, the sad…
• He set out to do exactly what he told Timothy to do
2 Tim 2.2 And the things that you have heard from me among many witnesses, commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.
2 Tim 4.2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching.
His attitude is clear in v1, of Titus 1:
Paul, a bondservant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God’s elect and the acknowledgment of the truth which accords with godliness,
NOTE: He saw HIMSELF as a DOULOS of God… a bondservant!
• He viewed himself in this very humble, dependent, surrendered position… not to man, or to a movement, but to God!
• It meant that his life was totally submitted to God.
• So much so that when the Holy Spirit spoke to Paul, he quickly followed and obeyed.
NOTE The title DOULOS, bondservant of God is not title of SHAME!
• Event though this word meant GALLEY SLAVE, or UNDER ROWER.
• It was and still is a title of the highest honor.
Moses was a doulos…
Deut 34.5 So Moses the servant of the LORD died there in the land of Moab, according to the word of the LORD.
David was as bondservant of the Lord.
Psalm 89.20 I have found My servant David; With My holy oil I have anointed him,
SO WE have another key to the powerful, passionate, persevering life in the Christian… a life that’s surrendered, wholeheartedly to God and God alone.
• And a person sold out to God will find himself/herself investing their lives into the lives of others.
NOTE: Titus was one of the many touched by Paul’s life.
• We don’t know much about Titus, but we do know he was probably led to the Lord by Paul as he’s called ‘his son’ in the faith in 1:4
• Titus also helped in the raising of support for the struggling church back in Jerusalem…
• And after that he was sent by Paul the island of Crete to set things in order in the church there…
• AND That’s where Titus is when he receives this note.
CRETE was an island in the Mediterranean About 135 miles in length and only about 30 miles wide.
• A very mountainous area and highly populated area.
• The people there were difficult, idolatrous & problematic.
• But the gospel would come, a church would be born, and shepherds would be sought…
I. (1.1-4) INTRODUCTION
1. (1) I’m here to further your growth.
a. Again, Paul’s a servant, an apostle… 1 sent with a message.
b. He was sent according to the faith… or to help it along.
c. I like how the NEW CENTURY VERSION translates v1.
Titus 1.1-3 (NCV) From Paul, a servant of God and an apostle of Jesus Christ. I was sent to help the faith of God’s chosen people and to help them know the truth that shows people how to serve God.