Summary: This is a sermon on trusting in Jesus, do we believe that what we ask for will be provided or are we just throwing our prayers up in the air hoping somingthing will stick
Setting The Sails
• When Hudson Taylor, the famous missionary, first went to China, He went by boat
• At one point during the voyage, the wind stopped blowing and the boat drifted dangerously close to the shore of island that was inhabited by cannibals.
• Because of the lack of wind it kept slowly drifting shoreward
• and the savages were eagerly anticipating a feast.
• The captain came to Mr. Taylor and begged him to pray to God for help.
• Taylor said “I will if you set your sails to catch the breeze.”
• The captain didn’t want to look stupid for setting the sails in a dead calm
• So he refused
• But Taylor said, “I wont pray unless you will prepare the sails.”
• Reluctantly the captain agreed And it was done.
• While Taylor was praying in his cabin there was a knock at his door
• Taylor cried out “Who is it?”
• The captain’s said “Are you still praying for wind?”
• Taylor answered “Yes.”
• And the captain, said “you’d better stop praying, because we have more wind than we can handle
Today we are going to look at John 4:46-54
• It’s the story of a royal official who had a problem
• A problem that he knew only Jesus could fix
• And this story shows us that not only does God listen when we pray,
• But He answers our prayers as well
Jn 4:46 Once more he visited Cana in Galilee, where he had turned the water into wine. And there was a certain royal official whose son lay sick at Capernaum.
Jn 4:47 When this man heard that Jesus had arrived in Galilee from Judea, he went to him and begged him to come and heal his son, who was close to death.
Jn 4:48 “Unless you people see miraculous signs and wonders,” Jesus told him, “you will never believe.”
Jn 4:49 The royal official said, “Sir, come down before my child dies.”
Jn 4:50 Jesus replied, “You may go. Your son will live.”
The man took Jesus at his word and departed.
Jn 4:51 While he was still on the way, his servants met him with the news that his boy was living.
Jn 4:52 When he inquired as to the time when his son got better, they said to him, “The fever left him yesterday at the seventh hour.”
Jn 4:53 Then the father realized that this was the exact time at which Jesus had said to him, “Your son will live.” So he and all his household believed.
Jn 4:54 This was the second miraculous sign that Jesus performed, having come from Judea to Galilee.
Lets start out by asking Do you believe that when you ask for things
When you pray
• Do you believe that God will help (Elab)
• Or are you just throwing prayers up in the air hoping something will happen
• That’s what we’re going to look at True belief
Jesus had returned
• He had returned to the place where He had turned water into wine
• He would have been known there
• When something happens in a small town you hear about it (Elab)