Summary: People of today still dream of impossible dreams. The impossible dreams we refer have nothing to do with dreams like becoming prosperous, owning a house, or becoming rich and famous. There are at least seven dreams that will never come true now or forever
Intro: During prophet Jeremiah’s time, God was angry with pastors, priests and prophets in Israel who dream and prophesy of false things. These evil false prophets deceived God’s people and provoked them to rebellion. What was true in OT times is still true for today’s generation. Some dreams are realistic, but most are too impossible.
People of today still dream of impossible dreams. The impossible dreams we refer have nothing to do with dreams like becoming prosperous, owning a house, or becoming rich and famous. There are at least seven dreams that will never come true now or forever more. It is impossible to have –
1. Sin Without Consequence (Jas. 1:15; Rom. 6:23; 8:6). As sure as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, the consequences of sin – condemnation and death – surely follow. Unconfessed sin and God’s judgment on it will catch up with a man; if not in this life, then in the next. This is an inescapable law of God!
2. Spiritual Growth Without Bible Study and Prayer (I Pet. 2:2; II Pet 3:18; Col. 4:2 ). The Bible teaches that the true Christian is born spiritually. As such, he also needs to grow from that of being a spiritual baby into a spiritually mature believer. Regular Bible believing study and fervent prayer is as important to spiritual growth as balanced diet and exercise is to natural physical growth.
3. Service Without Sacrifice (Rom. 12:1; Phil. 2:17). The words “sacrifice” and “service” are inseparable. A Christian, like Jesus (when He became man), must be willing to make sacrifices in the service of our God and Saviour. The apostle Paul led many Christians to Christ and it was his desire is that they present themselves a living sacrifice to God. Paul himself declared that should he suffer and even possibly die in the service of his fellow believers, he would consider it a worthy sacrifice. Alas, many Christians just want blessings, not sacrifices!
4. Blessing Without Obedience (Deut. 11:26-28). This warning was issued by God Himself to the Israelites on their way to the Promised Land but is relevant for us all even today. This warning illustrates God’s simple law of BLESSING and CURSING – that is, faithfulness and obedience to God brings blessings. Unfaithfulness and disobedience invite God’s judgment and curse. Too many people are praying for blessings when they deserve a curse! God’s law says obedience comes before blessing!
5. Sanctification Without Separation (I Thess. 4:3a; Rom. 6:13, 16; II Cor. 6:14, 17; Eph. 5:11). Sanctification is the work of the Holy Spirit wherein the believer is made holy and set apart for God’s exclusive purpose and service. It is both positional and practical. When a sinner truly repents and believe in Christ, he is pardoned and made into a saint of God. As a saint, he is to live more and more like Christ; though in the world yet separate and unblemished by sin and wickedness.
6. Steadfastness Without Faith (Col. 2:5; I Pet. 5:9). Steadfastness is the ability to remain firm and unmovable in the face of severe trials in life. It is a result of a strong confidence in the Lord who is our real and only source of strength and power. If you are in intense difficulties now, don’t give up yet… have faith in God and trust in Him!
7. Salvation Without A Saviour (Psa. 27:1; Acts 4:12; Heb. 2:3). Under the NT God provided a way of escape from hellfire through his Son Jesus. Religion, rituals, good works, and church membership cannot save you. There is only one way to heaven! Only Jesus Christ who suffered, shed His precious blood, and died on the cross is God’s sole appointed Saviour for the world and for you!
Conclusion: Heaven is a reality because Jesus clearly taught it. It will be more than a dream come true to those who have trusted Jesus. Likewise, Hell is a reality but will be the nightmare of all nightmares to souls who will go there!!!